Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

klui

Feb 3, 2019
the capacity for the routing features (prem-lic) can be ignored

the capacity for the port licenses is how many ports have been licensed/unlocked. So you only have 4 out of 8 unlocked. If you want full licenses PM me
Thanks for the reply. I've already arranged it from you but want to check the switch before I download them. The wording in the Licensing Guide document in your packet threw me off:
... the ICX 6610 device has eight active 1 Gbps uplink ports. To increase the uplink capacity of four ports from 1 Gbps to 10 Gbps port speed, purchase a single ICX6610-10G-LIC-POD license. To increase the uplink capacity of all eight ports from 1 Gbps to 10 Gbps port speed, purchase a second ICX6610-10G-LIC-POD license.

"show pod" clears my confusion.
Code:
SSH@ICX6610-48P Router#sh pod

Unit-Id: 1
PoD license capacity:  4     (LOWER)
PoD license capacity used:   0

PoD-ports    Lic-Available Lic-Used
1/3/1      Yes             No
1/3/2      Yes             No
1/3/3      Yes             No
1/3/4      Yes             No
1/3/5      No              No
1/3/6      No              No
1/3/7      No              No
1/3/8      No              No
Looks like a "single" 10G-LIC-POD = capacity 4; and activating all 8 ports requires 2 10G-LIC-PODs which means a capacity of 8? I thought there were 4 licenses, each activating 4 ports = 16 total 10GbE.

Final question for the day: is there release notes for the PoE releases? My switch came with 2.1.0 build 001 PoE FW and I'm curious about the changes between that and build 004, latest for the 6610 in your archive.

EDIT: I had a question about the rear ports if they are already activated. They are: the rears are 1/2/1-1/2/10 (40G XL1; 10Gx4 XL2-5; 40G XL6; 10Gx4 XL7-10). PoD only refers the front ports 1/3/1-1/3/8.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: andybaran

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Thanks for the reply. I've already arranged it from you but want to check the switch before I download them. The wording in the Licensing Guide document in your packet threw me off:
... the ICX 6610 device has eight active 1 Gbps uplink ports. To increase the uplink capacity of four ports from 1 Gbps to 10 Gbps port speed, purchase a single ICX6610-10G-LIC-POD license. To increase the uplink capacity of all eight ports from 1 Gbps to 10 Gbps port speed, purchase a second ICX6610-10G-LIC-POD license.

"show pod" clears my confusion.
Code:
SSH@ICX6610-48P Router#sh pod

Unit-Id: 1
PoD license capacity:  4     (LOWER)
PoD license capacity used:   0

PoD-ports    Lic-Available Lic-Used
1/3/1      Yes             No
1/3/2      Yes             No
1/3/3      Yes             No
1/3/4      Yes             No
1/3/5      No              No
1/3/6      No              No
1/3/7      No              No
1/3/8      No              No
Looks like a "single" 10G-LIC-POD = capacity 4; and activating all 8 ports requires 2 10G-LIC-PODs which means a capacity of 8? I thought there were 4 licenses, each activating 4 ports = 16 total 10GbE.

Final question for the day: is there release notes for the PoE releases? My switch came with 2.1.0 build 001 PoE FW and I'm curious about the changes between that and build 004, latest for the 6610 in your archive.

EDIT: I had a question about the rear ports if they are already activated. They are: the rears are 1/2/1-1/2/10 (40G XL1; 10Gx4 XL2-5; 40G XL6; 10Gx4 XL7-10). PoD only refers the front ports 1/3/1-1/3/8.

Thanks!
rear ports don't use licenses they just work

never seen any PoE firmware release notes, they're probably straight from the PD chip maker, I can't remember who it is, I've posted the part number in this thread somewhere once before at least

747builder

Dec 17, 2017
Drat, I was afraid you would confirm that. I guess I can contact the eBay seller I bought it from, but it was so long ago I doubt I have any recourse there.

Anyone have a 6610 PoE PSU they are willing to part with? :)

Not that I need it (I don't have separate feeds for them or anything; both of 'em would run off the same UPS), but it'd be nice to have.
You have 6 months if you paid with paypal. if the seller gets incooperative, just file a claim at paypal NOT ebay.

747builder

Dec 17, 2017

Kryax

Oct 14, 2017
Just got my unit (ICX 6610-24P) up and running and converting everything over from my Cisco 4948-10G. Did this to save some power and also take advantage of the 40gb ports in the near future.

As such, I am curious what others thermals are looking like with their units. Noticed that my chassis is extremely warm/hot on the bottom chassis near the front SFP+ and RJ45 ports. The model I did buy only came with 1 power supply (1 fan included) and the 40gb/10gb stack/breakout (1 fan included) for a total of 2 fans. Noticed there is a slot for an additional fan and power supply and my unit actually did not include blanks for the slots (might have to look at getting an additional fan along with a blank plate for the empty power supply slot). Below is my thermal output:

Code:
BROCADE#sh chassis
The stack unit 1 chassis info:

Power supply 1 not present
Power supply 2 (AC - PoE) present, status ok
        Model Number:   23-0000142-02
        Serial Number:  LFV
        Firmware Ver:    B
Power supply 2 Fan Air Flow Direction:  Front to Back

Fan 1 ok, speed (auto): [[1]]<->2
Fan 2 not present

Fan controlled temperature: 71.0 deg-C

Fan speed switching temperature thresholds:
                Speed 1: NM<----->78       deg-C
                Speed 2:       73<-----> 87 deg-C (shutdown)

Fan 1 Air Flow Direction:  Front to Back
MAC 1 Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 68.0 deg-C
CPU Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 69.5 deg-C
sensor A Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 42.0 deg-C
sensor B Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 70.5 deg-C
sensor C Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 41.5 deg-C
sensor D Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 35.5 deg-C
stacking card Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 71.0 deg-C
        Warning level.......: 83.0 deg-C
        Shutdown level......: 87.0 deg-C
Little worried that the SFP+ ports on the front and optics will get too hot and burn out (extremely hot if I pull it out and compare it to my Cisco 4948-10G). Currently running Fiber Store SFP+ 10gb that are Cisco programmed.

Last edited:

kapone

May 23, 2015
Just got my unit (ICX 6610-24P) up and running and converting everything over from my Cisco 4948-10G. Did this to save some power and also take advantage of the 40gb ports in the near future.

As such, I am curious what others thermals are looking like with their units. Noticed that my chassis is extremely warm/hot on the bottom chassis near the front SFP+ and RJ45 ports. The model I did buy only came with 1 power supply (1 fan included) and the 40gb/10gb stack/breakout (1 fan included) for a total of 2 fans. Noticed there is a slot for an additional fan and power supply and my unit actually did not include blanks for the slots (might have to look at getting an additional fan along with a blank plate for the empty power supply slot). Below is my thermal output:

Code:
BROCADE#sh chassis

Fan 2 not present

Little worried that the SFP+ ports on the front and optics will get too hot and burn out (extremely hot if I pull it out and compare it to my Cisco 4948-10G). Currently running Fiber Store SFP+ 10gb that are Cisco programmed.
As long as the switch is not shutting down..you're not hurting it as bad, but it's still running at fried chicken temps..

Just to give you an idea, my home switch (6610-24P, but the POE isn't active, single PSU, single fan tray.) is in an unfinished part of the basement, no active cooling in that part of the basement, in fact it's closer to the utility/heater in the basement than I'd prefer, and it runs at these temps.

Code:
Power supply 1 (AC - Regular) present, status ok
        Model Number:   23-0000144-01
        Serial Number:  091  
Power supply 1 Fan Air Flow Direction:  Front to Back
Power supply 2 not present

Fan 2 not present

Fan controlled temperature: 48.0 deg-C

Current temperature : 38.0 deg-C
        Current temperature : 23.0 deg-C
        Current temperature : 29.0 deg-C
        Current temperature : 16.0 deg-C
        Current temperature : 15.0 deg-C
        Current temperature : 48.0 deg-C
        Warning level.......: 84.0 deg-C

Kryax

Oct 14, 2017
So investigated the temps a little further with my 6610-24P chassis. Noticed that the external fan for the power supply was not spinning. I assume the power supply has a dual fan setup (internal and external) and I did feel a little air (internal fan spin?) coming out. Is this normal until tempature reaches the thresholds? I could not shut the switch down as I am in the middle of a transfer to check initial bootup spin.

I also cracked open the top of the case and looked at thermals to see what difference it makes. Here is my latest output:

Code:
switch#sh chassis

Fan 2 not present

Fan controlled temperature: 73.0 deg-C

Current temperature : 57.0 deg-C
        Current temperature : 73.5 deg-C
        Current temperature : 41.0 deg-C
        Current temperature : 73.0 deg-C
        Current temperature : 37.5 deg-C
        Current temperature : 37.5 deg-C
        Current temperature : 36.0 deg-C
Should I put an order in for the additional fan that I currently have an open slot for in the 6610-24P? Also is there any benefit to having a second power supply for this model? Had a hard time trying to find a blank faceplate for the second power supply slot and prefer to have blanks in empty slots when possible.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com

Code:
BROCADE#sh chassis

Fan 2 not present

your SFPs should not be hot, I've never felt a hot optics module in these, except for the mikrotik sfp+ 10gbE copper module which run hot in anything. You're having airflow issues, you should definitely have blanks in there or the fans can't create any negative air pressure to get air flowing through the chassis like it should, and per your other post you have a faulty PSU with a fan that's not spinning (I don't know how the switch even allowed itself to boot like that to be honest, when I tried that it complained)

I would cover the open slots with duct tape or something and tell your seller you need a working PSU

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
a thermals question re ICX7250 (which I do not have yet). i am looking at the POE 48port version.

I have my existing switch inside my server cabinet in the rear (turned around from normal usage).

you had told me in the past the fans inside a IXC6450-24 could be reversed for this purpose, might you know, can the fans in a ICX7250 also be reversed? Thank you

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Should I put an order in for the additional fan that I currently have an open slot for in the 6610-24P? Also is there any benefit to having a second power supply for this model?
I purchased a 6610-48P with one PSU (rev B) and fan. A second fan definitely helps with temperatures on my switch running 8.0.30. With one fan installed, it produced higher CFM than the PSU's fan. With 2 fans installed, they both produce roughly the same CFM as the PSU's.
Code:
Fan 2 not present
Fan controlled temperature: 59.0 deg-C
MAC 1 Temperature Readings: 41.0 deg-C
MAC 2 Temperature Readings: 59.0 deg-C
CPU Temperature Readings: 58.0 deg-C
sensor A Temperature Readings: 36.0 deg-C
sensor B Temperature Readings: 47.0 deg-C
sensor C Temperature Readings: 46.0 deg-C
stacking card Temperature Readings: 54.0 deg-C

Fan 2 ok, speed (auto): [[1]]<->2
Fan controlled temperature: 46.5 deg-C
MAC 1 Temperature Readings: 30.5 deg-C
MAC 2 Temperature Readings: 40.5 deg-C
CPU Temperature Readings: 46.5 deg-C
sensor A Temperature Readings: 29.0 deg-C
sensor B Temperature Readings: 34.5 deg-C
sensor C Temperature Readings: 31.5 deg-C
stacking card Temperature Readings: 46.0 deg-C

Reactions: Kryax

Kryax

Oct 14, 2017
Thanks for the feedback! Yea I had contacted the seller earlier today and they are already working on sending a new fan/psu. Ordered a second fan for the chassis. Now I would prefer to get a blank faceplate for the second power supply (my own fault for not checking picutres on ebay and seeing they didn't offer the blanks), but will make do with taping something over the slot. Still will keep an eye out for blank faceplates for the power supply slot (unless anyone has one they don't need that they want to sell).

Other than that, I have the switch converted with all my config from my Cisco switch (VLAN's, trunks, routing, ACL's). Took a bit to get the syntax down and how these switches differ for the commands compared to Cisco, but eventually got what I needed.