Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pod

Mar 31, 2020
So I can't seem to find this in the thread (but it probably is), I have been trying and failing to configure a port that uses a default VLAN (even just vlan 1) but can also access other VLANs via tagging.

The moment I add a tagged VLAN to the port I loose access to the device connected to the port on the default vlan, even though the untagged vlan is still configured to vlan 1.

The use case is attempting to connect to a wifi router/access point which has multiple VAPs and VLANs configured on it and accessing it over a SFP+ interface. The SFP+ works fine when I just have the port set as untagged (but I can not reach the other VLANs obviously). Yes it could be an issue with that device, but I should still at least have access to the default VLAN after adding the other tagged VLANs using the untagged VLAN.

My switch is a 6610.
Seems you're looking for dual mode or dual-mode. Search forum for same.

Reactions: fohdeesha

Fallen Kell

Mar 10, 2020
Thanks. That looks like it is what I am missing (at least from documentation). I probably won't be able to try it out until next weekend when I get a couple hours to possibly break/bring down my current network.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
vlan 20
tag e 1/1/1

int e 1/1/1
dual-mode 1
# "1" is the vlan you want untagged traffic to be. if you want untagged traffic on this port to be assigned to vlan 12, it'd be
dual-mode 12

Reactions: tommybackeast

rootwyrm

Mar 25, 2017
www.rootwyrm.com
By the way, I forgot to link this for folks who want to do IPv6 on 08.0.30: Arris guide on using IPv6 raguard in L2/L3 environments.

And yes, I know it seems to imply that 08.0.30 and below are more IPv6 aware, but I assure you, router advertisements and stateless are still not actually in there. raguard is just layer 3 STP guarding in a sense. Inter-VLAN will still have you tromboning traffic if you're using SLAAC and RAs.

Reactions: kache

safado

Aug 21, 2020
The revC post has me curious to know how loud the 6610 is exactly? Like compared to a Cisco 3750 POE?

kache

Jun 27, 2020
Concerning the ipv6 discussion, there is a seller in EU selling a ICX 7450 - 48p with Rev C power supplies (he confirmed that via PM).
I'm not sure if I can link to the ebay listing, so just search for feldsam-inc on ebay and you'll find it.

Me I sadly can't afford that high of a price so I'll wait until prices for 7xxx switches come a bit down and stay without ipv6 for now I think. :D

Many many thanks to rootwyrm for all the amazing explanations!

kapone

May 23, 2015
So I can't seem to find this in the thread (but it probably is), I have been trying and failing to configure a port that uses a default VLAN (even just vlan 1) but can also access other VLANs via tagging.

The moment I add a tagged VLAN to the port I loose access to the device connected to the port on the default vlan, even though the untagged vlan is still configured to vlan 1.

The use case is attempting to connect to a wifi router/access point which has multiple VAPs and VLANs configured on it and accessing it over a SFP+ interface. The SFP+ works fine when I just have the port set as untagged (but I can not reach the other VLANs obviously). Yes it could be an issue with that device, but I should still at least have access to the default VLAN after adding the other tagged VLANs using the untagged VLAN.

My switch is a 6610.
Having owned these (and other enterprise switches) for years, and running them in both, a business and home environment, I can almost guarantee that "dual mode" has a very edge case, in any configuration.

If you think you need dual mode, think again about your network topology. You're trying to solve a problem with a machete when it really needs a scalpel.

Scarlet

Jul 29, 2019
If you think you need dual mode, think again about your network topology. You're trying to solve a problem with a machete when it really needs a scalpel.
Well, not all home users are professional network-engineers. For me there was a valid use for dual-mode. I owned a Cisco AP that used vlan 1 untagged for management and other vlans tagged for different WLAN SSIDs. I did not want to lock myself out of the AP management interface so I chose dual-mode 1 to solve my problem. Sometimes the machete works well in the hand of the user that does not know how to operate a scalpel :)

Reactions: Vesalius

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Well, not all home users are professional network-engineers. For me there was a valid use for dual-mode. I owned a Cisco AP that used vlan 1 untagged for management and other vlans tagged for different WLAN SSIDs. I did not want to lock myself out of the AP management interface so I chose dual-mode 1 to solve my problem. Sometimes the machete works well in the hand of the user that does not know how to operate a scalpel :)
sadly that's one of the edge cases he speaks of, a surprising number of equipment that supports tags, but forces "management" or some other traffic onto untagged vlan 1 at the same time. UBNT does the same thing and it's obnoxious

rootwyrm

Mar 25, 2017
www.rootwyrm.com
It's not just this, either. I AM a professional engineer and I can tell you as a point of fact that dual-mode is needed MUCH more frequently than it was in the past. For example, there is an IPMI/iKVM vendor where you MUST use a dual-mode analog for both the 'true' IPMI port and the shared failover port, even when the IPMI/iKVM is configured to tag traffic.
Yes, even when it's tagging the traffic.
Because the IP 'heartbeat' sense and the failover motion itself does not tag the traffic. It can't. Because the failover side cannot operate with a tagged VLAN. And if you are using the shared port on the host with certain tagging modes, the IPMI will cease to function because it sees the VLAN tag on both the active and failover and reads that as 'both hot.'
Nevermind when we get into other stuff where it's a shared port that just doesn't tag period. Or my favorite, the one that won't tag until late in the boot stage, but also drops the IP if it can't ping the gateway while not tagging. (You know, because that makes sense.) And that's not even touching on UBNT's utter incompetence.

Shitty, amateur, incompetent 'design' in "enterprise" hardware really has run rampant.

Reactions: tommybackeast

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
Those of us with Ruckus AP’s that have unleashed firmware are stuck with vlan 1 for management as well. their zone directors can change the management vlan tag, but not unleashed. I use dual-mode for those. Thinking of changing the default vlan on my 6450 so that I can prpoerly segregate management interfaces to vlan 1 given those constraints.

dragonian

Jan 3, 2020
The comment about UNBT confuses me. I am able to specify a VLAN for management for my unifi aps..? I'm not using dual mode at all.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
The comment about UNBT confuses me. I am able to specify a VLAN for management for my unifi aps..? I'm not using dual mode at all.
It must be new then, last time I tried it wasn't possible and there were quite a bit of complaints on their forum about it. Granted this was a couple years ago

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
(Is there no way to search in a specific thread? I could not find!)
Question: I'm trying to use a couple cisco DAC cables. When I plug a cable in to my 6450, even if i plug it into two ports, i get a message "optics inserted, wait for PHY initialization", and nothing else happens.
Should I be able to loop 1/2/2 and 1/2/3 for testing, at least to get a link?

Spearfoot

Apr 22, 2015
(Is there no way to search in a specific thread? I could not find!)
There is a way to search a specific thread: click the 'Search' box and select 'This Thread' from the combobox. Invaluable for digging through the "Brocade Mega Thread"!
sthsearch.jpg
Question: I'm trying to use a couple cisco DAC cables. When I plug a cable in to my 6450, even if i plug it into two ports, i get a message "optics inserted, wait for PHY initialization", and nothing else happens.
Should I be able to loop 1/2/2 and 1/2/3 for testing, at least to get a link?
I'm not a network guru, but I think connecting a single cable between two ports on your switch creates a loop, with attendant bad juju. Do you have another switch or computer you can test with instead?

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
There is a way to search a specific thread: click the 'Search' box and select 'This Thread' from the combobox. Invaluable for digging through the "Brocade Mega Thread"!
View attachment 15593
I'm not a network guru, but I think connecting a single cable between two ports on your switch creates a loop, with attendant bad juju. Do you have another switch or computer you can test with instead?
Thank you! That totally eluded me.
Yes, I'm aware I will create a loop, but I was thinking I'd get a link at least. I don't get a link....I do have a powered down Aruba S2500, but would need to reset it to avoid IP conflicts...

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
Those of us with Ruckus AP’s that have unleashed firmware are stuck with vlan 1 for management as well. their zone directors can change the management vlan tag, but not unleashed. I use dual-mode for those. Thinking of changing the default vlan on my 6450 so that I can prpoerly segregate management interfaces to vlan 1 given those constraints.
In regards to changing the default vlan, what can I expect to happen to all the ports currently automatically untagged in vlan 1 once I designate another vlan as default. Will they stay or move to the new default?
assuming the command below, as long as the vlan ID I choose is not already in use, should be all it takes:

Code:
default-vlan-id vlan-id

Scarlet

Jul 29, 2019
Will they stay or move to the new default?
The ports will move to the new default. I moved my default-vlan to 4095 because of the Ruckus APs, and yes the command is what is needed to change the default vlan. I don't remember if the switches actually needed a reset after that.