Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fohdeesha, Jul 12, 2018.

1. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Kaini Industries

follow the update guide to update all the firmware (including PoE), and wipe the previous config, and that should go away. The previous owner tried to turn on 30W of PoE power on all 48 ports, and it's saying it's not possible to do that

edit: just noticed you also saw "PD Detection Fault" - it depends, but that could just be because of the previous config. if it still says that with an empty config after updating then yeah it's bad

2. infoMatt

infoMatt Member

"PD Detection Fault" should appear when you've enabled PoE output on the port, but there's a non-PoE device attached; my 6450 says this, at least... :D
    If there's a PoE PD attached and it isn't being powered by the switch, then you've a defective PoE frontend.

PD = Powered Device

EDIT: @fohdeesha, I think you're referring to the "PoE budget allocation failed" or similar message.. But it is (almost) meaningless, at least on my 6450.. I've enabled PoE on all ports, at reload half of them fails to allocate power budget, but still come on if I plug in a PD. Weird...
    Or better, it matters only if there are more device connected than the PoE power budget, in that case the switch will turn off the port with lowest priority, and amongst the same priority level, the upper port number will be turn off first.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    fohdeesha likes this.
  3. Thomas H

Thomas H Member

I followed your update guides updating firmware and PoE. What commands do I execute to empty config? How do I do a factory reset? I browsed through the manuals and can't find this information.

edit: Went through your "Setting up Brocade ICX6450" guide again and see "factory set-default" instructions. I did it once more for good measure.

For enabling PoE, I followed Ruckus Enabling and disabling Power over Ethernet instructions:
    Code:
    configure terminal
    interface ethernet 1/1/1 to 1/1/48
    inline power

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  4. psc

psc New Member

Phew! Sounds like I was lucky enough to get some of the last few :)

On the one hand, I'm ecstatic about the help you're providing, and glad to trim 100+W of power draw, but on the other I fear you've cost me my remaining free time for the next few months: after 2 weeks I've only found time to update one of the two 6450s, and I've not yet started on my plan to segregate into VLANs!

Whilstling gently as I amble down the path of overkill and into madness....

5. fohdeesha

ok yeah as infomatt said if you're enabling it on every port and it defaults to allocating a full 30w, it's gunna complain, but will work fine

6. Thomas H

Thomas H Member

What I want actually is to enable PoE on all ports and have it auto detect PoE. Is there a command for this?

7. fohdeesha

yep that's what you already did

8. Todd F

Todd F New Member

You need the RPM signal.

fohdeesha's reply that the 7250 will boot without RPM signals doesn't seem to work on mine. IIRC, I'm on 0.8.0.60 so maybe if I was on 80 that would be the case. On mine, it boots all the way through then issues a warning and reboots the switch.

9. groove

groove Member

Hi fohdeesha,

Thanks for all your hard work - my switch recently died - took the opportunity to join the bandwagon and have an ICX6610 on its way now.

Vendor does not know the password of the switch or what licenses are installed - will have to do a factory reset. So I will be needing a license soon : -).

fohdeesha likes this.
  10. juey

juey Member

Im monitoring all my stuff, including temperatures
    sw1_temps.png
    So with the Noctua's installed, and a couple of PoE devices (1x UAP AC-HD, 2x Axis PoE Cameras, one PoE-powered BananaPi and a Snom ip phone), the temperatures are fine.
    I agree with you in terms of full PoE load, then you absolutely need the stock fans, but with low load or on non-PoE models, the Noctua's keep the 6450 cool enough (and its dead silent).

11. Wolfstar

Wolfstar Member

Well... now that I've got some travel money under my belt, just ordered an ICX6610-24-I for $200 + ship. Sadly, I'm sitting in Philly for the rest of the week, and it will be at the house on Thursday. So I'll have two days more to wait.

If anyone wants to jump on the ICX train, I'm going to post this guy in the deals section. I've no idea WHY they haven't, but they've had these up for months, sold three of them (to two buyers), and we're talking dual fans, dual PSUs, and 4-post rack-mount kits. I'd have posted it sooner, but I was waiting until I could order mine. :)

Fohdeesha, I'll be tossing you a PM once I get home and can verify the thing's working properly.

12. zanechua

zanechua Member

The ICX7450 has arrived and I'm assuming you can use the instructions for the ICX7250.

13. fohdeesha

Yes you'll just need to sign up for a ruckus account and download the latest firmware, I would stick with the v8080 train. The license commands will be different as well, just use tab complete to see what licenses you can install with the install license commands

Ruckus ICX FastIron 08.0.80e (GA) Software Release (.zip) | Software Downloads | Ruckus Wireless Support

Docs:
    FastIron 08.0.80 (GA) Software Documentation (.zip) | Technical Documents | Ruckus Wireless Support

14. fohdeesha

Also wow, I just realized we passed the year anniversary of this thread a couple months ago. Certainly doesn't feel that long! Wish I had a proper count of how many people have bought switches because of it, I know just the people getting licenses alone are in the hundreds now

15. bkvamme

bkvamme New Member

I am definitely one of those guys.

Got the 6450-24 due to the overwhelmingly positive comments in this thread, and later upgraded to the 6610-48P again due to this thread.

fohdeesha likes this.
  16. sean

sean Member

Second longest thread by replies on the site. Another 415 or so replies to take over the E5-2670 thread.

fohdeesha likes this.
  17. Wolfstar

Wolfstar Member

This is killing me. I may literally die of impatience right now; my ICX6610 arrived early this afternoon, and I'm stuck in Philadelphia until Saturday, when I have to drive 8 hours home. Oh, and my mother expects me to stop on the way back.

Think I need to take Monday off.

fohdeesha likes this.
  18. Eru0194

Eru0194 New Member

I want to run breakout cables from a 6610's QSFP breakout ports directly to LC keystones like this in a patch panel.
    [​IMG]
    I want to be able to connect typical LC-LC cables from these keystone jacks directly to network cards. Will that work if I use a Type B breakout cable? I was looking at this.

19. Wolfstar

Wolfstar Member

Assuming you have the correct MPO optic for it, yes, that shouldn't be an issue. In fact, pretty sure that's what they're designed for.

As for the patch panel portion, those are just basically mountable couplers and won't cause problems unless you're very close to the maximum distance. Since that's 500m on OM3, I'm guessing you're not going to push that in any sort of lab environment. If for some reason you are, switching to single-mode would resolve it but the optics will be pricier.

20. juey

juey Member

Im not getting any IPv4 traffic captured by my 6450 using sFlow, i only see IPv6 traffic...any ideas ?
    Have been using ElastiFlow for collecting sFlow.
    Code:
    SSH@sw1(config)#sh sflow
    sFlow version: 5
    sFlow services are enabled.
    sFlow agent IPv6 address: fc00::1337:2
    sFlow source IP address: 10.10.100.2
    sFlow source IPv6 address: fc00::1337:2
    2 collector destinations configured:
    Collector IP 10.10.100.25, UDP 6343, Configured VRF: None, Using VRF: default-vrf
    Collector IPv6 fc00::1337:25, UDP 56343, Configured VRF: None, Using VRF: default-vrf
    UDP source port: 8888 (Default)
    Polling interval is 4294967295 seconds.
    Configured default sampling rate: 1 per 32 packets.
    Actual default sampling rate: 1 per 32 packets.
    The maximum sFlow sample size: 128.
    Sample mode: Non-dropped packets
    sFlow exporting cpu-traffic is disabled.
    627220 UDP packets exported
    595014 sFlow flow samples collected.
    sFlow ports: ethe 1/1/1 to 1/1/2 ethe 1/2/1
    Module Sampling Rates
    ---------------------
    U1:M1 configured rate=32, actual rate=32
    U1:M2 configured rate=32, actual rate=32
    Port Sampling Rates
    -------------------
    Port=1/1/1, configured rate=32, actual rate=32
    Port=1/1/2, configured rate=32, actual rate=32
    Port=1/2/1, configured rate=32, actual rate=32