Brocade ICX-6610 with Bell Canada Fibe FTTH

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
When I clone the MAC, it continues to show in the list on Brocade, but there's no answer to the PPPoE.

Any experience dumping frames? How can I capture the traffic from the ISP provided router, using the Brocade and a VM?

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I take it you're running pfsense in a VM? Can you try a hardware router/bare metal pfsense install connected to the switch port? I have seen reports that pfsense can have issues with PPPoE in a VM as the hypervisor won't bridge the PPPoE frames correctly, and would also explain why the switch interface logs show plenty of traffic, but your pfsense vm sees zero packets. This would rule out the switch

what's your hypervisor?

Last edited:

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
Yup. Will try a router running Tomato first. Then try to get a physical pfSense set up.
I'm not in town right now, so it'll have to wait until I can get help.

I also don't think this explains why I'm able to connect with the ISP router powered. Because if the frames couldn't be sent, I wouldn't be able to PPPoE, ever, at all.

And I've connected thru this magic handshake, which is why there are frames showing on the port :)

Edit: BTW, the "previous" internet connection is DSL, from the same provider, which uses PPPoE, and that is working with this same pfSense VM.

I'm running Server 2016 Hyper-V

Last edited:

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
Physical Tomato router also fails to connect.

Connected SFP to the TP-Link media converter and it also failed to dial.

Time to wireshark.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Yup, at least that rules out the switch. It seems they're rolling out some new auth method, but I would figure more people in that big thread would have ran into it

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
(Just to close this off: Bell was doing DNS poisoning and was trying to redirect me to a login portal after the PPPoE connects. After I realised this and filled it out, I had no trouble connecting PPPoE any longer.

So visit Bell Internet if you're hitting this problem, give it the information, and you should be good to go.)

Reactions: Tha_14

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
phew - good to hear! It was starting to bug me, everything else was set correctly but it just wouldn't work. Glad to hear you got it worked out

Reactions: Tha_14