Brocade 1020 CNA 10GbE PCIe Cards

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

minddragon

Aug 4, 2014
Can you post part numbers for them? I'm trying to buy them from somewhere and to return this twinax I got.

DarkOrb

Jul 24, 2014
Wellington, New Zealand

minddragon

Aug 4, 2014
Thanks! That's a big help. I'll get the cables in and then reply on here as to whether or not it works or not.

minddragon

Aug 4, 2014
Humm. Well it seems Twinax doesn't work so good. I got a twinax cable from Ebay and only getting 3gbps on a good day. I'm now getting those Fiber transceivers / cables from Fiberstore (link above). Just waiting for them to arrive now.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Humm. Well it seems Twinax doesn't work so good. I got a twinax cable from Ebay and only getting 3gbps on a good day. I'm now getting those Fiber transceivers / cables from Fiberstore (link above). Just waiting for them to arrive now.
Twinax/DAC's are good, I can confirm I have the HP branded DAC's pushing 9.7 Gbps on my Intel X520 DA2's. It's either a bad cable or incompatible somewhere/somehow. Hell, now I know why these 1020's are so cheap. Any advise from others who have gotten this adapter to play nice w/ ESXi 5.5 and a switch...any switch at this moment would be good to hear from so I knwo they can actually work and in what configs/pairing of gear. Very disappointed right now. Least it was only $65 out the door between 1020 and active DAC...no wonder why i usually stick w/ Intel for this stuff...just works but @ 5-6 times the pricepoint.

minddragon

Aug 4, 2014
I learned a few tips / tricks when contacting QLogic (they don't offer any advice / support for Brocade devices anymore) ... Also they no longer support OS's that are not on their list of supported devices anymore.

You may have to boot from a Live CD to do this (or just install a linux OS on a USB or something)

QLogic Support
The qlereconfig is for different adapters and not needed for Brocade adapters. You should be able to run the script on the link provided without having to perform that step. You will find a link to the script at the bottom of the page.

Also please create a supportsave file. You can do this with the command "bfa_supportsave".

Both those tools gather a crapload of data that makes it easy to check everything.

DarkOrb

Jul 24, 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
Anyone have any idea why I cannot get my 1020 w/ active twinax to play nice w/ my HP Procurve 2910al?
Guessing they require them to be HP branded? Looks like the other things you have in there are. Just a guess though.

As a side note, this is why I decided not to use the twinax and used transceivers instead as I can pick/choose each end to be "compatible".

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Ok gents, so I did a little bit more testing. Q-Logic support is useless, got some useless reply that reads:

The adapters that you have received without transceivers are only supported using twinax cables and are only meant for use with these cables. Installing a SFP on to one of these adapters would not be a supported configuration and in return cause the error you are currently receiving.

WOW, spot on guys, I advised clearly that I am ONLY using twinax/DAC and active supported brocade cable. Ridiculous :-(

On a side note I did direct conn from my Brocade 1020 to a Intel X520DA2 w/ the brocade cable and guess what...linked up 10G FD right away adn I setup a new vDS and bumped MTU to 9K and vMotions are FLYING between two ESXi 5.5 hosts. Cute eh?

Thoughts?

DarkOrb

Jul 24, 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
Sounds more like it's the HP at fault as the Intel's don't care about vendor of the item - I don't have a HP here that I can test that on though.

It seems a tad strange for them to say what they did to you, as in the datasheet [PDF-750KB] it states the following;
• 10Gbps Ethernet LC-style pluggable (SFP+), SR
(850nm) and LR 10km (1310nm), hot-swappable
Also if you look at the FAQ's [PDF-50KB] from them it also says that SPF is supported/
Q Are Brocade- Are Brocade-branded SFPs required for the CNAs? branded SFPs required for the CNAs? branded SFPs required for the CNAs?
A Yes. The Brocade 1010 and 1020 require Brocade-branded SFPs or active Twinax cables.
Third-party active Twinax cables can be used but are not supported by Brocade.
Lastly, in their install guide [PDF-9.1MB] it clearly states information about installing optical modules on page 100. Has diagrams and everything to prove that point - it even has a note clearly stating
In the following figure, the fiber-optic SFP transceivers are shown in illustration A, and the copper SFP transceivers with attached cable are shown in illustration B.
If I were you, I'd go back and hit them over the head a few times with their own documentation, clearly someone there hasn't read it :)

P.S. If they are not 100% official Brocade Twinax then they can deny support, but the SFP part was silly either way. Do you have a HP Twinax to try with? As long as you are running the most recent firmware on the card it shouldn't care which vendor it is - that'll help you prove if it's the HP side doing vendor locking or something else altogether.

P.P.S. I see from your screenshot you are using HP Twinax in the other ports, so would be worth trying the above.

Last edited:

legen

Mar 6, 2013
Sweden
Just thought I would add my 1020 iperf performance. This was between my PC (1020) -> Quanta LB4M -> SAN (1020).

MTU1500
Code:
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 3] 0.0-10.0 sec 4.39 GBytes 3.77 Gbits/sec
MTU9000
Code:
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 3] 0.0-10.0 sec 6.72 GBytes 5.77 Gbits/sec
So its not 10Gbit but almost 6Gbit/s. The cables i used are Brocade 10G 1M FCoE Active Cable 58-1000026-01 30AWG SFP TO SFP from ebay.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I ordered the Brocade 10G 1M FCoE Active Cable 58-1000026-01 cable and direct to Brocade 1020 to Intel X520-DA2 it links up immediately, when I go to the switch no matter what combo it is unhappy. I tried connecting up one of my HP branded passive DAC's that do work on my Intel X520-DA2's to the 1020 and no go, out of curiosity I connected the active brocade DAC up to an Intel X520-DA2 and back to my 2910al and no luv either. I am starting to think it's the HP switch. Does HP make an active twinax and if so is it a roll of the dice to even try that as it may then make the 1020 say 'go away'?

Damn, I just can't get this right. :-( So I see above that a Quanta LB4M worked for that gent w/ the exact same cable I have. Depressing haha

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
BTW, if I can't get this to work I will likely be unloading this. I guess I can post in the for sale forums here but if anyone is interested in this card and DAC from me I live in Colorado and we can work something out. Will have to hunt another Intel 10G card down. Anyone have any other suggestions for a single port Intel 10G nic that wont break the bank. I cannot afford another X520-DA2 (have 3 now but at nearly $400 a pop each I am still hurting heh, this 1020 was supposed to be a 'on the cheap' DR SAN connection to bring that guy up to 10G for zfs send/recv's).

firenity

Jun 29, 2014
I wouldn't give up on these cards just yet.

There are a couple of things you could try:
  1. HP branded active DAC
  2. Brocade branded SFP+ transceiver (for the 1020) + HP branded SFP+ transceiver (for your HP switch) + appropriate fiber
    You could also try Brocade transceivers for both sides but I doubt they'll work in the HP switch since it's already been picky about your non-HP DAC.
I have gone with the 2nd option myself, since it's a tad more flexible IMO.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Just received this from qlogic support:

What is the serial number for the adapter so I can confirm which version of the adapter you have. Either you have a BR1020-0010 or a BR1020-1010. The BR1020-1010 is for use with twinax cabling. The BR1020-0010 is for use with optical transceivers and fiber cabling.

Hope I have the one that is Twinax/DAC capable. Fingers crossed.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Firenity, do you happen to know of a HP active twinax/DAC cable part number, was hunting in the HP docs for the 2910al switch and know I saw a section of supported cables and PN's at one point but can't seem to find it now? Would like to take option 1 first then move onto option 2.

legen

Mar 6, 2013
Sweden
Just received this from qlogic support:

What is the serial number for the adapter so I can confirm which version of the adapter you have. Either you have a BR1020-0010 or a BR1020-1010. The BR1020-1010 is for use with twinax cabling. The BR1020-0010 is for use with optical transceivers and fiber cabling.

Hope I have the one that is Twinax/DAC capable. Fingers crossed.
Should it not be possible to check if you have the 0010 or 1010 in the card bios or physically somewhere on the card?

Also, i tested using the brocade twinax cables between two Quanta LB4M switches and that also works without any problems. So i would also think it is your HP switch that does not like the brocade cable.

minddragon

Aug 4, 2014
So I RTFM for the Brocade 1020. The "1020-1010" ships with Twinax GBICs, the "1020-0010" ships with Fiber GBICs. As usual, QLogic support is trying to scare people away.