Broadwell-E vs Hashwell-E RAM compatibility questions - one is more sensitive?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
As most of you probably know, I am having an Epyc of a hard time trying to get my dual Xeon (2696V4) system going:

Dual XEON 2696V4 + X10DAX Epic Disaster build - BSOD randomly - please help..

Here is a chronological order of events:

• Motherboard 1 (X10DAX) + Crucial Memory Model not on the compatibility list = BSOD
  • Tried motherboard 2 + Crucial Memory Model not on the compatibility list = BSOD
  • Ran the crucial system scanner, discovered I ordered to wrong RAM and re-ordered new RAM that is compatible with the motherboard
  • Tried the new RAM + Single CPU = BSOD
Out of desperation, I took a 2696 V3 CPU and tested it in the motherboard and surprisingly there is no BSOD. This rules out both the motherboard and power supply as a problem source.

I looked carefully at the RAM label and it seems that crucial sent me the wrong part number and its not on the X10DAX compatibility list. But for some reasons, this RAM worked perfectly with the 2696V3

My assumption now is the 2696 V4 is having conflict with this specific memory and/or is more demanding? I am going to ask crucial to resend the correct RAM and retry the testing.

UPDATE: ALL PROBLEM RESOLVED WOOOOHOOOOO!

Almost gave up and decided to plea for help online and an ex-lieutenant from the US Navy nuclear forces on anandtech saved my sorry butt. On a late Friday evening, he looked every every screenshot of my bios settings and told me to change two obscure XEON specific power saving features and it magically cleared up ALL my problems.

The following two are disabled on the BIOS:

- Disable C6 State Reporting
- Disable Spread Spectrum

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Only the speeds. Depending on DDR4-2400 / DDR4-2133

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
Thanks for the reply Patrick! Should I keep trying or throw in the towel and return everything :(

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
I'm using DDR4 2400 From Crucal on the SM QVL List the 8GB modules and they work with the 2696v3s.

Have you called Supermicro to see what they say? Or what a different board either from SM or maybe the Asus? Just tossing out some ideas. Maybe something will click. If this doesn't work for you will you move to dual EPYCs?

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
last resort, you should try a MB from a completely different manu. I recommend trying asus z10pe-d16. I have that and win 10 working perfectly with e5-2686 v3 as well as an early step ES e5 v4 cpu (QHUZ)....

I am using hynix