Broadcom LSI Storage Authority (LSA) SMTP Error: 9100

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AGTDenton

Mar 4, 2022
Hi Guys

I think I have actually solved my problem whilst writing this post. But someone may be able to provide a workaround so I'll post it anyway.

Problem

I am trying to setup Email alerts via SMTP within the LSI Storage Authority management software, but when using the 'Test Configuration' button I receive the following error:​
Error Code: 9100 - Description: Test Email Failed

Further Details

Firstly in doing this I discovered that the LSA software is not fully compatible with Edge Chromium.​
Initially none of the Email settings were saving, then upon reading the official LSA Documentation realised the 'Mail Server' configuration tab was missing the 'Security Protocol' configuration and in general I received a number of different error messages.​
I fired up Internet Explorer and could now see the missing 'Security Protocol' config and the settings finally save using this browser, sad times.​
So you'll need to use Internet Explorer for this:
On the LSA Dashboard click on: User > Settings​
Within 'Settings' select the tab: Mail Server​
For Office 365 I used the following SMTP settings:​
Server: smtp.office365.com​
Port: 587​
Security Protocol: SSL/TLS​
Save Settings​
Now select the 'Email' tab​
I removed the root address.​
Then added my E-Mail address​
Save Settings again​
System stats

LSA - v007.018.004.000​
Controller - MegaRAID SAS 9440-8i​
Driver Version - 7.715.04.00​
Firmware - 5.050.01-1292​

Solution (ish)

I finally spotted that Office 365 SMTP uses the STARTTLS protocol and it looks like the Broadcom LSA software may not support this.
I tried all options on port 25 and 587 with no success.
Sadly the 9440-8i is now discontinued so not expecting this to ever be resolved officially.
If anyone has a workaround or has got it working on STARTTLS for Office 365 please let me know.​
I suspect to resolve this would have to use an alternate SMTP service and I really can't be bothered to configure a SMTP relay as suggested by Intel, which is the only site listing this error.​