Broadcom 9400-16i not waking up all drives & no way to change settings

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

__m128

Apr 26, 2021
I have a very curious problem with a Broadcom 9400-16i controller. I'm running it in a server with 4 rows of drives (two of which are populated), in a X10SDV-TLN4F board. The case is an Intertech (3U 3416 - Inter-Tech GmbH.)

I've installed the latest firmware (version 22, mpt35sas_x64.rom which puts it into IT mode, and the latest HBA_9400-16i_SAS_SATA_Profile.bin) on the Broadcom controller, and I'm using the latest version of storcli.

I have three types of drives installed: ST2000 Seagate (let's call them A), ST4000 from Seagate (let's call them B), and SSDs. The rows are populated as following:

Code:
ABSS
ABSS
In this case, the first A/B HDD gets found during start, but the A/B in the second row are not found. The SSDs all work. If I change it to:

Code:
AASS
BBSS
AA will show up, BB won't. If I move SSDs into the BB slots they show up ... so I've been tinkering with this a bit and found that the Broadcom controller has the spinupdrivecount set to 2. I would like to change this to 4, and this is where I'm completely stuck.

If I use storcli /c0 show all, I can see the spin-up drive count printed etc. But if I use storcli /c0 show spinupdrivecount, I get an "Un-supported command" error. Which I get for practically every variable, and of course I can't set them either. This is both from running storecli in an UEFI shell and running storcli64 from Linux.

I'm also apparently the only person on the internet who is getting this "Un-supported command" error, which means I'm probably missing something obvious here?

In addition to all of this, I managed to get the UEFI of my mainboard to show the HBA, but the settings there are extremely limited. I can look at the controller but not change anything, and I can look at the drives it has found (after I do a topology refresh) and then turn off/on the LED for each drive, but that's about it. I have not found a way to access the full "HII" via the UEFI on this server. Note that I'm running BIOS version 2.3 on the server, from 2021.

If anyone has seen "Un-supported Command" on a Broadcom controller and knows how to fix this, that would be amazing.

Last edited:

flips33

Apr 20, 2023
I have a 9400-16e on firmware P24, haven't tested with any disks yet, but wanted to check what the spinupdrivecount was and encountered the same "Un-supported command" issues you have seen.

I'm also apparently the only person on the internet who is getting this "Un-supported command" error, which means I'm probably missing something obvious here?
Just wanted to let you know you know that you're not alone, friend.

Mine's definitely a chinese clone, though I don't imagine that should make any difference? I also wondered if the commands are only supported on the 94xx MegaRAID products?