bricked intel AXXRMS2AF040

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
can anyone out there help me unbrick this daughterboard...

followed some cross flashing instructions here a while back and it went bad..

none of the usual utilities will see it any longer and it doesnt even show up in uefi pci-e listings..

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Tried using the Intel tools? Does it see the card? Stick a disk on it. Most LSI cards that I have seen toasted, usually show some sign of life when a disk is hanging on the end of it. Try with different versions, use DOS to at least erase the card properly :)

Last edited:

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Couple years ago, It happened to me. I was able to recover the bad bios flash.
Give me sometime to dig up old notes.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
My old notes
Intel_DiskController\AXXRMS2AF040\Recover-bad-flash
files in the directory
AXXM.SBR
AXXM.TXT
IMR411p.rom
MegaCli.exe
MegaRec.exe

How to recover bad flash
MegaRec -writesbr <n> <your-SBR-backup.bin> where <n> is the Adp#
MegaRec -writesbr 0 AXXM.sbr
megarec -m0flash 0 IMR411p.rom

IMR411.rom is from Intel download site latest version of firmware as of June 2016
\\spot\SPOT_MISC\Hardware\Intel_DiskController\AXXRMS2AF040\ir3_2008SASHWR_FWPKG-v20.12.1-0168

Reactions: pricklypunter

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
@pricklypunter

thanks good suggestion and already went that route yesterday... found the intel site and downloaded the v20 installer.. it only includes the intel utility and a .rom file.. so I dont know if its going to work as the instructions I followed had me erase everything..
the intel utility supposidly runs under dos or UEFI so I will try both

@Marsh

thanks for digging up your notes.

back when the flash went bad last year, I just threw it in a box in my closed.. but if I recall I tired megacli, megarec etc etc.. anything I could get my hands on and all I go was no cards found. I am guessing that it wiped the bios and sas address etc..

I didnt find on the intel site a recover bad flash file..

the bundle I found had intels cmdtool2 which I guess is like sas2flash.. and imr411p.rom ... that it .. no .bin file... no .sbr file

any way you could zip up what you have?

I dont remember if I saved the flash drive with the backup .bin file that I made.. I am pretty sure the script that I used made a backup.bin and trying to flash it resulted in no cards found.

in UEFI using the command to list the pcie devices.. it was no longer there.. I think there is a way force writing a SAS address to a bricked card to get it visible again... not finding it.

Thanks to all for you assistance...

Marsh

May 12, 2013
PM me your email address, I'll zip up the files for you.

Recover-bad-flash directory is my own making, not from intel.
I have 5 of such disk controllers, multiple attempts of trying to flash with IT firmware met with failure. I gave up and restored the orig firmware.