Branded RAM question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ekiro

Mar 16, 2019
Not sure if I'm posting this in the right section as I couldn't find a sub-forum for RAM. Please move it to the correct section if misplaced.

I am curious about about HPE/Lenovo branded RAM. Is there actually ANYTHING different about it other than a sticker?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I've had no problem with branded RAM in my SuperMIcro boards. (or any RAM I've tried for that matter)

However, I'm not sure that would be the case in 100% of situations -- maybe there are some instances where they have something unique...

ekiro

Mar 16, 2019
I ordered a HPE ProLiant DL325 G10 which has a AMD EPYC 7401P and 2x16GB DDR4 2666 RDIMMs. I would like to purchase 8x 32GB DDR4 2666 RDIMMs (Hynix HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK) to replace the RAM with, but I'm worried there may be some issues with compatability. Spec wise the RAM is exactly the same (DDR4, 2666MT/s, 1.2V, RDIMM) so it *should* work. I choose Hynix HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK specifically because I looked at what kind of RAM HPE sells for their 32GB sticks and that was the model number. The only difference is that it doesn't have the HPE sticker.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I ordered a HPE ProLiant DL325 G10 which has a AMD EPYC 7401P and 2x16GB DDR4 2666 RDIMMs. I would like to purchase 8x 32GB DDR4 2666 RDIMMs (Hynix HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK) to replace the RAM with, but I'm worried there may be some issues with compatability. Spec wise the RAM is exactly the same (DDR4, 2666MT/s, 1.2V, RDIMM) so it *should* work. I choose Hynix HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK specifically because I looked at what kind of RAM HPE sells for their 32GB sticks and that was the model number. The only difference is that it doesn't have the HPE sticker.
That’s not exactly true, they use the same chips but they have different profiles and no doubt even the chips are binned for HPE. HPE smart memory us preferred but other will work and the reverse, HPE smart memory will work in white box systems.

ekiro

Mar 16, 2019
That’s not exactly true, they use the same chips but they have different profiles and no doubt even the chips are binned for HPE. HPE smart memory us preferred but other will work and the reverse, HPE smart memory will work in white box systems.
What is a white box system?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
What is a white box system?
Something generic, quanta, Supermicro, asrock rack, etc.
(Although some lines are blurred now)
Anyway called whitebox just because generic and not branded.

So HPE for example while using what looks like generic ram has some timing info etc and some proprietory information about the ram stored on the SPD chip. This means some extra feature maybe for HPE systems but does not mean a system can’t use true generic and also does not mean that ram won’t work in other systems.

For new systems I don’t use anything other then vendor supplied ram but then again it’s work and not fun so no chances can be taken.

ekiro

Mar 16, 2019
HPE claims their ram unlocked some features and may give a slight performance boost. Is this true?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
HPE claims their ram unlocked some features and may give a slight performance boost. Is this true?
In their machines yes.

Haven’t tested myself just seen some results in past of somebody else tests, but minimal difference, power consumption less but what’s say 1% to anybody really.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Biggest differences if you use off-brand RAM in the brand server and get caught then using tech support - you could be denied service and any weird issues will be blamed on off-brand ram. As to physical differences, I strongly believe the special binning of branded ram is a myth. At the most this ram could be tested to be a bit more stabled under extreme condition (ie: terrible cooling)