Brand preferences for UPS batteries

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
I have a couple of APC SUA2200RM2U UPSs which are due for battery replacement.

It has been a few years since I shopped for batteries. I used to like Japanese brands. But many of the brands changed ownership, moved factories to China or just disappeared. So I did a quick Ebay search and there were not that many names I recognized from before.

I recognized these 6. But I do not know if they are still any good:
CSB (Hitachi Chemical) - still used by APC?
UB (Universal Battery/Universal Power Group)
NPP
Yuasa
Keyko
Power-Sonic

And these I did not recognize at all but they seem to be very popular (with resellers at least)
SigmasTek
Neptune Power
PowerStar
MightyMax
ExpertPower

Does anyone know which brands of SLA battery manufacturers provide the best value nowadays?

Last edited:

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
Anyone had any experience with the Upgrade Parts Company? They sell APC compatible battery cartridges. From the pictures it seems that they are using SigmasTek batteries. I ordered a whole new RBC43 compatible cartridge for roughly the same amount I was planning to spend on the batteries alone. If worse comes to worst I would have an empty spare cartridge.

I am still looking for good battery brands recommendations.

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
I went back to buying APC and Eaton branded batteries. I was buying Chrome Batteries for a while, but they just didn’t last. Got tired of warranting them.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
I did some research on that "Keyko" brand and it turned out to be a complete fake. As in there was no Japanese battery manufacturer with such name. And it seems that all those great reviews I remembered reading were fake as well. So much for the brand "recognition".
The only American distributor (or most likely the actual "brand" owner) was based in Florida and has filed for bankruptcy protection in December 2018.

The company's website is down but there is a github repo mager19/keyko

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
@pricklypunter, have you used Yuasa recently? The reason I am asking is that it used to be my brand of choice as well. But my understanding is that the brand was acquired by EnerSys and the batteries are no longer made in Japan. It does not mean that they are no good. I am just hoping to hear about somewhat recent experiences. The last time I bought them personally was over 6 years ago and they were old stock still made in Japan.

Those batteries had light grey body, black top cover, red or blue text printed right on the plastic and a unique serial number etched on the cover. The new EnerSys Genesis batteries seem to follow pretty much the same design. They also use the same model numbers.

I would be inclined to try them again if they wouldn't be about twice as expensive as Universal's in the form factor I need (9x UB1250 for $95 shipped vs 8x NP5-12 for $170 shipped). Yuasa always sold at a premium but I remember it being closer to 20% or so.

Another unexpected for me issue is that none of those batteries seem to come with F2 terminals anymore.

Last edited:

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
The last lot I purchased was around 3 years ago, and they are still in good usable condition. They were within 6 months of manufacture according to the date code and looked like the original Japanese manufactured packs to me at the time. They also came directly from a reputable seller in the UK. They were not cheap though, compared to what was available from the competition. As for being acquired by EnerSys, I didn't think they took on the deep cycle battery business, only the motive power stuff, I could be wrong though, maybe they took it all over. Either way, EnerSys are a world renowned battery manufacturer, selling under at least a dozen brand names and have a good reputation for producing reliable products, so I wouldn't worry if they came from the USA instead of Japan. If they are being put together to the same quality standards and following the same general design goals of the original Yuasa packs, they will nevertheless, be very good :)