BPN-SAS3-826A-N4 and cables

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
I picked up a Supermicro chassis with this backplane: BPN-SAS3-826A-N4. It has 3 miniSAS HD (SFF-8643) connectors on it.

Anyone had any experience with this in a system? Specifically:
a) I have a Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2E4 which handles an Intel NVMe SSD fine independently of the chassis. Can I just use regular SFF-8643 cables for these bays, hooked up to this HBA?

b) The rest of the bays are going to be populated with 6Gbps SATA/SAS spinners, and I want to reuse an existing SAS/SATA HBA. Can I use an SFF-8643 to SFF-8087 cable like CineRAID SFF-8643 to SFF-8087 Internal HD MiniSAS to MiniSAS, LSI, Areca,Adaptec ? I know that SFF-8087 adapters sometimes have directionality; this cable also references the host being SFF-8643, and the target being SFF-8087 -- which is exactly opposite of how I intend to use it. Will this work? If not, do I have to upgrade to a miniSAS HD controller too?

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
I picked up a Supermicro chassis with this backplane: BPN-SAS3-826A-N4. It has 3 miniSAS HD (SFF-8643) connectors on it.

Anyone had any experience with this in a system? Specifically:
a) I have a Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2E4 which handles an Intel NVMe SSD fine independently of the chassis. Can I just use regular SFF-8643 cables for these bays, hooked up to this HBA?

b) The rest of the bays are going to be populated with 6Gbps SATA/SAS spinners, and I want to reuse an existing SAS/SATA HBA. Can I use an SFF-8643 to SFF-8087 cable like CineRAID SFF-8643 to SFF-8087 Internal HD MiniSAS to MiniSAS, LSI, Areca,Adaptec ? I know that SFF-8087 adapters sometimes have directionality; this cable also references the host being SFF-8643, and the target being SFF-8087 -- which is exactly opposite of how I intend to use it. Will this work? If not, do I have to upgrade to a miniSAS HD controller too?
If you goto the server you purchased supermicro webpage and open spare parts list at bottom, it provides a list of parts and option parts, cables, risers, backplanes cables etc.. this should provide the information ..