BPN-SAS2-846EL1 coil whine?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lil_pump_bump

May 4, 2021
I recently purchased a used supermicro 36 bay server (SV-6047R-E1R36N) and the front backplane has a fairly noticable high pitched noise/coil whine when running, and unfortunately since this is going to be set up in a living space it's something I will need to resolve.

I've tried swapping out the PSU and tried different power connectors (I'm actually doing some modifications to have a quiet server, so that involved switching to a consumer PSU and replacing the fans) but it hasn't had any impact, so think I've isolated the issue to the backplane.

Are there any steps I can take to fix this, apart from just trying to find a replacement part? It seems as if replacing the backplane will end up costing near what I paid for the server itself! So interested to know how others would go about solving this.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
First draft before I reread your posts:
Ignoring the part where you write that you want to put a datacenter server in your living room:
Contact the seller, tell him about the weird/unexpected noises and ask if they have another server (or spare backplanes) they could send you as a replacement.

Second try:
I would try to get a replacement, either a full server or just the backplane. BUT you have modified the server which makes it hard if not impossible to return the server.
I think getting another backplane is your only chance.