BPN-SAS-846TQ Backplane and PWDIS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cadamwil

Jan 16, 2014
Nashville, TN
Hello All,
I found a pretty good deal on a 14TB Ultrastar, but i has PWDIS built in. It looks like PWDIS resets the drive by providing 3.3v on Pin 3 of the SATA Power connector. In looking at the specs for the BPN-SAS-846TQ it's supplied power via the old school molex connector, so unless it has a buck converter to provide 3.3v, I should be good, correct? Has anyone tried these in a Supermicro SC846, or ideally one with the TQ backplane?

Adam

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Yes, the backplane is supplied with power through molex connectors on the backside, but the drive receives power from the SFF-8482 connector on the front side of the backplane.

cadamwil

Jan 16, 2014
Nashville, TN
Yes, the backplane is supplied with power through molex connectors on the backside, but the drive receives power from the SFF-8482 connector on the front side of the backplane.
Right, I am aware of that, otherwise the drive wouldn't power on. My question is, is the backplane making and providing 3.3V on pin 3. If not, I can use drives with PWDIS without issue.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Right, I am aware of that, otherwise the drive wouldn't power on. My question is, is the backplane making and providing 3.3V on pin 3. If not, I can use drives with PWDIS without issue.
Or you could just use some kapton tape on the the drive's 3.3v pin and use it...

kishine

Mar 8, 2023
Can anybody confirm if we can use Hdd with pwdis on SC846 (any model). Hdd with pwdis are cheaper right now. Thank you