Boot problem with LSI 9300-16i

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Jan 24, 2020
hi all,
i am in the process of changing my home server with the following spec
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master board, i5-9600K CPU and 4*8GB DDR4 sticks of RAM
I have got the above card ( LSI MegaRAID 9300-16i PCIe 3.0x8 12Gbps HBA)

with the card in the system it boots fine, but if i connect any hard drive to it then the system freezes at POST

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sogndal94

Senior IT Operations Engineer
Nov 7, 2016
Norway
Are you using secureboot or CSM? did you use the same disks before the swap?
What drives are you using?
Is it a shucked drive? Is it possible you're running into a power pin issue?
Is the disks used?
What is the message it gets stuck on? if you dont seen anything, you might have to enable boot messages, and disable fastboot in the bios?

Reactions: piranha32
Jan 24, 2020
i have secure boot enabled (with TPM) the drives have a storage spaces array already on them from a previous build.
I haver tried with just SAS drives, just sata (12TB spinners) and also sata ssd's result is the same.

If i boot with no drives attached, then plug in after post then the system will run as expected, drives detected and volumes work as normal

Sogndal94

Senior IT Operations Engineer
Nov 7, 2016
Norway
I am just trying to understand where it stops. Does it stop before or after bios post screen? does the windows logo appear? But since you have tried other disks, the issue must be with software, card or motherboard. Do you see any errors in the eventviewer when you just boot with the card, and connect the disk afterwards?
Is the HBA up to date on firmware, and drivers installed(Might not need drivers)?

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
with the card in the system it boots fine, but if i connect any hard drive to it then the system freezes at POST
Have you tried disabling the boot support for the card (using the Ctrl+C menu)? Some motherboards with wonky BIOS can have issues with lots of connected drives, and that's the solution. Even though you have the issue with only one drive, if the same solution works, then you should look at updating the motherboard BIOS.

As @Sogndal94 pointed out, updating the firmware on the HBA is also a good idea.

Reactions: Sean Ho