Boot Issues (ROMED6U-2L2T)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jmcguire525

Feb 16, 2021
Just upgraded my server and I'm having intermittent boot issues. At first I couldn't get the system to post, the IPMI wasn't showing the current bios so I assumed that was the issue (needed to be on 1.00 for my Naples 7401p). Once I flashed the bios I was able to get up and running, although I believe the bios was already on 1.00 and that was not the real problem.

After rebooting the system it refuses to post again. This is what I'm getting from the error log...

ID | TimeStamp | Sensor Name | Sensor Type | Description
======|======================|==================|====================================|================================================================
2 | 12/16/2021, 23:38:14 | BIOS | System Firmware Progress | Error - Asserted
| | | | No video device detected
------|----------------------|------------------|------------------------------------|----------------------------------------------------------------
1 | 12/16/2021, 23:38:12 | BIOS | System Firmware Progress | Error - Asserted
| | | | Unrecoverable hard-disk/ATAPI/IDE device failure
------|----------------------|------------------|------------------------------------|----------------------------------------------------------------

I do not have a video card installed, but have been able to get it to boot to Unraid without one a few times. The BMC VGA output is connected to monitor, when the system does post everything works as it should. I have 15 new HDDs installed but I'm not sure what the device failure message is related to or why it is causing the system not to post. So far I haven't found any ryhme or reason for it being able to boot here and there, any help would be appreciated.

Server Specs:
Motherboard: ROMED6U-2L2T (Bios: 1.00)
Processor: Epyc 7401p (no vendor lock)
RAM: 6x M393A4K40CB2-CVF
Chassis: Storinator AV15
Drives: 15x 14TB Ironwolf Pro
PSU: Corsair RM-650

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
teh ROMED6U-2L2T does not officialy supports Naples.
ask ASRock Rack first if naples can work without issues.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
i have 2 systems that are using a naples (7551) cpu with the same mb. They are currently with some other colleagues. both of the mb were purchased when the romed6 was just released so they had the older bios that would support naples. I only used a single m.2 ssd and didn't see any errors or symptoms that you are seeing. My guess is it might have something to do with the new drives. A slight catch 22 is that sometimes a bios upgrade is needed to get things to work properly. As you probably know, if you upgrade the bios, the naples cpu may not work. We have both the rome and milan also working on that same mb but with their newer bios. Also, these systems seem to take a really long time to boot especially after swapping the cpus. It makes it hard to troubleshoot and you have to be real patient :)

jmcguire525

Feb 16, 2021
I only used a single m.2 ssd and didn't see any errors or symptoms that you are seeing.
I'm thinking the disk error may have to do with them needing to be formatted (shucked from SG externals). The system will still boot with the drive error but not the "no video device" error. Did you have a separate GPU installed?

I've thrown in an old GPU to get things running, using unraid to clear the drives now. With the GPU installed I don't get the error but I'm also not able to use the KVM for video, which means I can't bring up the boot menu remotely if needed. That is something I'm going to have to figure out for this to meet my needs.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
I use most of these boards as servers so only need the vga. I do have a rome8d that I use as a desktop with a discreet gpu. That does present some issues about getting into the bios as I need to switch over to the onboard vga.

jmcguire525

Feb 16, 2021
I use most of these boards as servers so only need the vga. I do have a rome8d that I use as a desktop with a discreet gpu. That does present some issues about getting into the bios as I need to switch over to the onboard vga.
That was my plan, I'm getting the error when only using the onboard VGA, it's like the system doesn't recognize its there and refused to boot.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
That was my plan, I'm getting the error when only using the onboard VGA
the onboard VGA is in the BMC chip.
the BMC chip is connected in two ways with the EPYC. PCIe & WAFL.
Naples don't have WAFL. so i thought this is your issue.

all you should do:
remove the Cooler and remove the Mainboard, check the standoffs to not short circuit.
reseat CPU and memory.

Reactions: tinfoil3d