Board recommendations 2011v3

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Prof_G

Jan 16, 2020
Looking for a motherboard. I now have two 2630v3’s looking for single processor boards to replace or add to stable of pc’s

One workstation board and one server board. Thoughts are welcome.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I have a supermicro x10sra for my workstation/"battlestation" and a x10srl-f in my nas.

I like the x10sra because it can use two gpus at x16 + 1 x8 add on card or one gpu at x16 + 3 x8 add on cards (there is also another pcie slot coming from the chip set).
The x10srl is great when you want to use a bunch of x8 cards, with two slots being mechanically x16 slots (for 100 gbe nics :D)

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
i would go with asus, asrock boards. why ?? becaus they have mostly socketed bios chip. SM has mostly soldered bios chip. i now have 2 SM boards with soldered bios chip. for my own personal taste i like to have the ability to change bios chip when i want. just put new revision of bios chip to have support for newer cpu's (e.g. epyc naple vs epyc rome).

another point: asrock boards have mostly debug LED on the boards. SM doesn't have debug LED. e.g. i like to see what is the error for boot loop without any screen attached and without ipmi logged in.

maybe 2 small things, but for me big enough to stay away from SM boards

Last edited:
Reactions: Agremlin and Prof_G

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
It all depends on the amount of slots you need ... well it did for me.
If you have a specific set of cards in mind (eg I needed 2x16 and 2x4) then often there is little choice (Fujitsu in my case). If you just need a few then as mentioned other factors (IPMI, debug LEDs, Audio, Overclocking/Bios Modding options) and price can come into play.
So what are your criteria - planned cards, budget, use case... ? :)

Prof_G

Jan 16, 2020
Well I have quite a few older raid cards 9260/9280s that I would be using in the server, as far as workstation I have a 2080, and m.2 intel p660 1Tb so it makes sense to go maybe more toward an x99 board on that side.

I’m eyeing the board like what Ari2asem, it’s on auction right now.

I’ve been reading that there is some sort of microcode you can add to the bios to make the 26xx v3 all cores turbo is that only special processors or all of them?

Server doesn’t have to be single I’m thinking something like

I might go x10dri-T4 just to have 10Gb and run a single processor for the time being.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
take a close look at diagram of that board which pci-e slots are connectted to which cpu socket. because you need 2 cpu's tu use all pci-e slots. just look at block diagram.

and modding bios to add some microcode for all-core-turbo....you should do that if you have the knowledge what and how to do. otherwise bricked board.

this site is in dutch, but very nice overview of 2011-3 socket boards

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
that is nice price for that board. but be carefull....socket is narrow ilm. you need special cpu coolers...what is your computer case ?? desktop case ?? or server 19" rack case ??

Prof_G

Jan 16, 2020
Will be replacing unit in a 3U supermicro or a chenbro Nr50700. The chenbro I know will fit the board as it’s has E.E.atx I’m pretty sure the board will fit in the 3U it has x8dtl-if in it but the supermicro 3u’s say they can accept E.E.atx

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018

watch out for height for yoyr 3U case and for narrow ilm (no square ilm)

Reactions: Prof_G

Prof_G

Jan 16, 2020
Those are the two heat skinks I was just eyeing. Probably go with 3U no matter what case I put it in.

Whats the thoughts on putting more into a 10GbE or 3108/3008Lis pricing seems to be about 100 dollars difference to add the raid or the 10GbE-T

I’m leaning towards networking. Either way the upgrade card costs a slot. Unless I get both but my backplane is 6Gb so I’ll have a limit.

Last edited: