BMC Reset Default Password

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kedzior

Mar 21, 2018
Poland
I just get a motherboard from Gigabyte without a known admin password (the default password from SN sticker does not work), Does someone have experience with bmc_restore_default_password.py? There is a needed MAC and a special key to recovering the password to it is the default.
I know that this key can receive from a Gigabyte representative, but I do not get any reply from them.
Mac2Password file looks like this (sample):

1C:1B:0D:0A:BB:48,S16C79000042

Util usage:

python3 bmc_restore_default_password.py <File> <Start IP> <End IP>

BR
Adam

sko

Jun 11, 2021
why don't you just use ipmitool?
Code:
# ipmitool user list
ID  Name             Callin  Link Auth  IPMI Msg   Channel Priv Limit
1                    true    false      false      Unknown (0x00)
2   ADMIN            true    false      false      Unknown (0x00)
[...]
# ipmitool user set password 2 newpassword
Set User Password command successful (user 2)
works from any installed or live OS running on that host.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
without a known admin password (the default password from SN sticker does not work)
If your motherboard / server version is older than G9 (upgrade version), then use the following login:
Username: admin
Password: password

Last edited:

kedzior

Mar 21, 2018
Poland
why don't you just use ipmitool?
Code:
# ipmitool user list
ID  Name             Callin  Link Auth  IPMI Msg   Channel Priv Limit
1                    true    false      false      Unknown (0x00)
2   ADMIN            true    false      false      Unknown (0x00)
[...]
# ipmitool user set password 2 newpassword
Set User Password command successful (user 2)
works from any installed or live OS running on that host.
OK, this will be the easiest way, but for now, I have also a problem with the VGA output from this motherboard (also attached GPU does not show anything on screen).

kedzior

Mar 21, 2018
Poland
If your motherboard / server version is older than G9 (upgrade version), then use the following login:

The unique pre-programmed password will be the last 11 characters of the serial number.
I tried SN as the password in mac2password file but I get an error and the reset do not succeed.
This is G9 version

kedzior

Mar 21, 2018
Poland

The unique pre-programmed password will be the last 11 characters of the serial number.
Default pre-programed admin password was changed by previous owner.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
1. Download the firmware from website
2. unzip/untar the file and copy over to USB drive
3. start server in EFI and select the USB drive
4. locate the folder with the firmware
5. if I remember right execute 'flashall.nsh' or 'gigaflash.efi + filename of firmware'

Let me know if it worked.

kedzior

Mar 21, 2018
Poland
then mac2password includeds your BMC MAC, list is on request only. or have you purchased this file from gigabyte ?
I'm trying to start to work this MB, I get it from my friend, I know that this file can be generated by Gigabyte Officials, but I suppose it is global BMC functionality (similar reset procedure I found on SuperMicro). So I suppose that there is a link between this "reset code 11 char" and MAC Mgmt Address.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
, if you want to restore the password to default setting (username = “admin” and password = “password”), please contact Gigabyte to obtain pre‐programmed unique password list for your purchased server systems.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
then mac2password includeds your BMC MAC, list is on request only. or have you purchased this file from gigabyte ?
This is a totally unnecessary step. He just has to follow my instructions to get it totally reset in factory default state. Then the user will be 'admin' and the password will be the print on the sticker. And it does not have anything to do with the VGA issue he seems to have. I have the same board here four times and always had VGA issues with the RAM not working with this board. VGA output is just black.

kedzior

Mar 21, 2018
Poland
This is a totally unnecessary step. He just has to follow my instructions to get it totally reset in factory default state. Then the user will be 'admin' and the password will be the print on the sticker. And it does not have anything to do with the VGA issue he seems to have. I have the same board here four times and always had VGA issues with the RAM not working with this board. VGA output is just black.
Yes, I know problems with RAM/VGA not only on this MB from Gigabyte so I know that the best option is to do via BMC, regarding the reset if VGA will be working is an even better way to do it via access from Linux directly via ipmitool (but I need to have operated VGA output).
This is not a hidden/very secret PW it needs to be automatically generated based on MAC address, I'm trying to sort this out.