Bluewhale - Watercooled 7X 1080Ti and Dual XEON rendering server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
Build’s Name: Bluewhale
Operating System/ Storage Platform: Windows 10 Pro
CPU: E5-2696 v3 (Dual CPU)
Motherboard: Asus Z10PE D8 WS
Chassis: Caselabs THW-10
Drives: Intel SSD
RAM: 128G 2133Mhz DDR3 ECC
Add-in Cards: 7X GTX 1080Ti Foundation Edition
Power Supply: Corsair AX 1600i X 2
Other Bits: EK Watercool components

Usage Profile:
CPU and GPU rendering

Before upgrading this rendering server to dual EPYC + RTX 30 series graphic card I feel that it is a good time to save the information of the current build somewhere. Caselabs has been a legend and unfortunately it has become a history. 2nd hand market is the only place we can get this case or components. As long as I have the room space to keep them I want to keep them as long as I can. The case I am using is one of the biggest models of Caselabs that have the most spacious space. It can accommodate four 560 radiators.

This server was completed not long ago and the hardware seem a bit outdated now. Why so late? It was because I didn't have enough room to do all the installation ( You won't believe how long all the watercooling stuff have been sitting in my room.:cool:) and also it actually took one quite a long time to build his first-ever watercooled computer. I think the pandemic did have do some favor for me to have more time staying at home to get it done.

Actually this was the 1st time I have ever built a watercooled computer. Instead of beginning with something simple I challenged myself to build my 1st water-cooled computer with hard tubes, four 560 radiators and dual reservoirs. I was glad that it booted successfully and didn't have any leak for the first trial run. However due to some careless and overconfidence I did fry two Auqa D5 pumps. :-(. But anyway at the end it was running quite stably and quietly. I will show some photos later.

I will keep editing this post until I have put down enough information. I want to upgrade this server to a dual EPYC 7742 system. These days I have been looking through the relevant posts from Alex, Mirriomax and other members. They are very helpful. I am sure I will write another post after I get it done.

Why watercooling?
1) Low noise and as low temperature as possible
2) No need for LED lighting (or just very minimal)
3) Dual loop, one for CPU and one for GPU
4) Color tone is Black/White/Silver, I prefer low key style

Gallery:
1. All tubes connected and leak test with a leak tester

PHOTO-2020-12-08-23-21-07.jpg

2. A few close-up photos
IMG_5499.jpg

IMG_5500.jpg

IMG_5501.jpg

3. The temperature
The temperature of the CPUs and GPUs:
1) 7X GPU temperature under full load is around 40-43C
2) 2X CPU temperature under full load is around 40C
The screen capture was taken just a while after finishing GPU full load test.

Temp.PNG

3. Miscellaneous
The screenshot of using GPU rendering in Octane renderer
7gpu octane.jpg

I will add some more stuff here and add some more photos.

Last update: 2021-1-17