Blinking cursor after Ubuntu Server Installation

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Hi all,

I was trying to run the STHbench.sh script but after I installed Ubuntu, I rebooted an only got a blinking cursor. No GRUB menu. Does anyone know how to fix?

For reference - I installed 13.04 from one of those Zalman VE300 everyone is talking about. Installation went fine, but after the first reboot, it hangs with just a blinking cursor. I double-checked boot device. Can't figure it out.

Anyone have ideas?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Will do a main site post on this one. Great question. Let me guess - you have a Zalman VE-300 in dual mode? If so, change it to ODD mode then install and it will work.

If you are erroring out before GRUB my guess is that GRUB is getting installed on the HDD volume on the Zalman instead of on the target local drive.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Will do a main site post on this one. Great question. Let me guess - you have a Zalman VE-300 in dual mode? If so, change it to ODD mode then install and it will work.

If you are erroring out before GRUB my guess is that GRUB is getting installed on the HDD volume on the Zalman instead of on the target local drive.
Brilliant! That worked. I didn't validate that grub was on the HDD (or SSD) portion but taking that out of the equation worked!