BLAZING INFERNO HOT - Hitachi HUSSL4040ASS600 $99

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
No idea good sir, I just know they are both rated at endurance ratings that will likely outlive all of us and they see 'true' sustained data rates 24/7 w/ no performance degradation from what I have seen using them over the last couple of years.
When the 25nms first came out there was this article that said something about 25nms having 3000 write cycles vs the 5000 in 34nms. But these were MLC comparisons so I'm not too sure. Also something about the 25nms having a huge IOPs drop compared to 34s and that the only benefit was the cost savings to manufacture. Not Hitachi but there were complaints about how the 25nm OCZs had a 30% performance drop compared to their 34nm predecessors. Pros are that the BSS drives are newer and seem to be the official model used by Dell.
Thoughts appreciated.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@josh these are not consumer drives. These Hitachi driver have Intel NAND and controllers. One of the big differences is that they typically are packed with lots of extra NAND. At consumer prices you cannot afford to do this. At enterprise pricing they do it for endurance and reliability.

In terms of endurance, odds are you will never come close to rated endurance ratings.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
@josh these are not consumer drives. These Hitachi driver have Intel NAND and controllers. One of the big differences is that they typically are packed with lots of extra NAND. At consumer prices you cannot afford to do this. At enterprise pricing they do it for endurance and reliability.

In terms of endurance, odds are you will never come close to rated endurance ratings.
I'm planning to stick those into an EQL hybrid array so they'll be under some heavy 24/7 usage. I'd be concerned if there was a 30% less life expectancy than the other model. Just trying to clarify if the SLCs have the same performance degradation.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
NB. EBay seller gcanales93 has several SSDs including couple of Hitachi up for auction, ending in 5 days 21 hours.
It is worth a look.
But best not to bid against each other.
FYI
cheers

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
NB. EBay seller gcanales93 has several SSDs including couple of Hitachi up for auction, ending in 5 days 21 hours.
It is worth a look.
But best not to bid against each other.
FYI
cheers
be sure to read / view the images

some say they are Engineering Samples

Reactions: Boddy

canta

Nov 26, 2014
very very very great deal!!

I wished to bought some when this thread was fresh created
but.... already spent ~$5000 for air fare for the whole family to visit our out of country parents in summer break this year.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
very very very great deal!!

I wished to bought some when this thread was fresh created
but.... already spent ~$5000 for air fare for the whole family to visit our out of country parents in summer break this year.
Ah ha! But the Toshiba hard drive will last longer than the faded photos of your holiday. :D
Just kidding.

Reactions: canta

sachem87184

Feb 3, 2015
I only needed 4 at the moment, but then thought, 3 node VSAN!?! So I impulse bought 12, now to see if they can be used.

I'll post the current usage on mine when I get them.

Reactions: T_Minus

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I only needed 4 at the moment, but then thought, 3 node VSAN!?! So I impulse bought 12, now to see if they can be used.

I'll post the current usage on mine when I get them.
This is exactly what I bought 6 for but I'm thinking putting 3 in 2 nodes and using one of the notes as non-storage contributing node.

shoguneye

Jan 21, 2016
be sure to read / view the images

some say they are Engineering Samples
Great eye, the seller confirmed this is an engineering sample. Also note, according to the seller this is a 400Gb unit not the 100Gb and said they would change the listing to a 4040 from a 4010. If bidding I think you'll want this in an email from the seller to fall back on.