Blade Server with Cheap SSD?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
Hi
Currently the Blade Server is not in use and just outside the Rack so Ich cant check what config the have.
So when I put in some cheap SSD like a "PNY SSD CS900 240GB SATA-III 6,4cm 2.5inch slim" who cost me ~27€ exclude all Tax.
Can I get some Problems with the SSD? Maybe the Mainboard dont support not the new thinks like Trim,...
Thanks

mbosma

Dec 4, 2018
Unless it's doing some HA voodoo where two nodes can access the same disk (which is SAS dual port only) it should be recognized like any other ssd.

The thing with these cheap ssd's is that they cannot handle the workload typically seen in servers.
My experience with using "cheap" ssd's like samsung 850 evo and crucial desktop ssd's is that they work fine when using them for a singe vm or simple workload. However when you start spinning up multiple vm's or use the i/o intensive ZFS filesystem they will start to show their cheapness.
They also won't last as long as enterprise drives do.

TLDR;
They will work in almost every case, but they won't be fit for i/o hungry workloads and won't last as long.

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
Well I dont know what HW the Blade Server use. I need to power then Up when I move the UPS and so on.
Since all need a longe time for shipping i have to plan in advance.