Blade Network RackSwitch G8000F 48 Port Switch w/ 10GbE Uplink Module - 84.99 OBO + shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
How do these compare with say, Cisco 3560E/4948 switches?

Is there any detailed documentation for these? I saw in another thread someone said you can make the CLI more Cisco like, would be interested to see their command syntax in an official doc.

Last edited:

Dibblah

Apr 13, 2017
I wouldn't describe it as loud - it does the usual full-speed-fan dance, but if you have both power cords plugged in, it quietens down quite nicely. ISTR it draws about 80w unloaded - that's with the back 2 10GbE ports populated too. There are some firmware updates available from IBM, if you sign up for the support site then use Google. These are sold as ToR devices - they allegedly plug into VSphere, but I've not tried this.

TechTrend

Apr 16, 2016
Florida
Seller auto accepted $75 BO qty 1. Good value at $90 shipped for a managed switch with 44 gigabit RJ45, 4 gigabit SFP plus 2 10GB SFP+ uplinks. IBM site still has firmware updates for download.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Seller auto accepted $75 BO qty 1. Good value at $90 shipped for a managed switch with 44 gigabit RJ45, 4 gigabit SFP plus 2 10GB SFP+ uplinks. IBM site still has firmware updates for download.
Need a contract to get those updates, I'm afraid. I just updated some that I have here spare. Used to be on some IBM things you could scroll down a little more past the serial number and click the "I'm a service provider, getting this for a customer, trust me, wink wink" and it would just give it to you. But not so much any more, I found. You might need to use it to find the filename then... uh... well, obtain that file.

Also anyone with one, maybe you can help me compare a problem I'm having. Service provider in the data center provides 10mbit burstable to 100mbit on a 100/Full link. 3x ASA's of varying age all connect to it, they're set for 100/Full. On an old Netgear, no problem. Can't confirm much because it's so old that it only works with like IE6 and Chrome 19 or something stupid. But on the G8000.... if I plug those devices into an Auto/Auto port - they show 100/HALF. Which is weird. But traffic passes. If I SET the port to 100/Full... instant linkdown. If I set it to 100/Half, it also works. But all 4 links into it are set and confirmed as 100/Full. Very weird. It's the only grief I've had with them.

TechTrend

Apr 16, 2016
Florida
Need a contract to get those updates, I'm afraid.
I don't have a maintenance contract. Just a free login at IBM Support. It allows me to download firmware for their BNT (Blade Network Technologies) switches (G8000, G8124, ...). The last G8000 firmware at the IBM support site seems to be 7.1.5 dated 10/22/2013. Lenovo support redirects to the same link (IBM Networking acquired BNT, Lenovo acquired IBM Networking).

TechTrend

Apr 16, 2016
Florida
@PnoT Thanks for the clarifications. I didn't see 7.1.13 yesterday. Some time ago a (free) IBM login was required for firmware downloads. Apparently it is no longer required.

Wonder how much longer IBM will keep updating firmware of a product line they sold to Lenovo.

heathen

May 30, 2015
I don't have a maintenance contract. Just a free login at IBM Support. It allows me to download firmware for their BNT (Blade Network Technologies) switches (G8000, G8124, ...). The last G8000 firmware at the IBM support site seems to be 7.1.5 dated 10/22/2013. Lenovo support redirects to the same link (IBM Networking acquired BNT, Lenovo acquired IBM Networking).
I can see 7.1.13.0 version dated 2017/01/25. It seems that they still pull updates and vulnerabilities fixes. Pretty impressive!
Can't find manuals though.

adnan

Apr 23, 2017
Hello Everyone

I've been lurking in the shadows here for a couple of weeks. Finally registered today. I picked up 2 of these. They are pretty nice wish I had gotten a few more. They originally came from a big financial organization in NY.

These are not loud at all, unless you have only 1 power supply plugged in.

The firmware on these is 6.8.6 and I tried to upgrade to 7.1.3 and it gave me a message about the image being incompatible or corrupted. I will look around in the forum, and see if I can get help upgrading.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Hello Everyone

I've been lurking in the shadows here for a couple of weeks. Finally registered today. I picked up 2 of these. They are pretty nice wish I had gotten a few more. They originally came from a big financial organization in NY.

These are not loud at all, unless you have only 1 power supply plugged in.

The firmware on these is 6.8.6 and I tried to upgrade to 7.1.3 and it gave me a message about the image being incompatible or corrupted. I will look around in the forum, and see if I can get help upgrading.
Is there a chance the webUI can be accessed without having the required weird console cable to set this thing up?

adnan

Apr 23, 2017
Yes it can. Out of the box it will receive a dhcp ip. So if your lan has a dhcp server, connect it to another switch, which is how I did it, or anywhere on your lan. You can then look at your dhcp server and get the assigned ip. Then you point your browser to that IP. Username and pass are admin:admin.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
When yours is done powering up and the fans spin down does it sound like there's like a clicking noise coming from the fans? I opened mine up and just can't tell if it's from all of the fans spinning at the same 'low' speed. It's kind of like a droning micro-clicking. The switch is quiet but all of the fans making that noise make it actually unbearable. My Cisco 3560E was more pleasant than this.

adnan

Apr 23, 2017
It does. I heard it too today , I have it on a rack with another switch and 3 servers. I thought I heard some clicking noise today from it. It's no Cisco, but a pretty good deal. The uplink especially.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I am about to try updating mine. I'll keep you posted.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk