Beware of EMC switches sold as Mellanox SX6XXX on eBay

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cktm57

Mar 1, 2021
Sos!!!
Dear friends!
An absurd error occurred - the EMC sx6012 was flashed with the wrong firmware (sx6015 instead of 6005). Is there a possibility of recovery or is it death?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
you should be able to fix this via console similar to the original flash process?
And why 6005/15? Do you mean 6018?

cktm57

Mar 1, 2021
you should be able to fix this via console similar to the original flash process?
And why 6005/15? Do you mean 6018?
The aim was to get unmanaged Mellanox switch sx6005 (12 ports) (following @mpogr). After an erroneous flashing, the boot process from the console is interrupted (status = red).

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
And why would you want an unmanaged switch if you have a managed one and a conversion guide?
the console should provide a status message if you're actually connected to the console port?
The status led alone will not help you in fixing this

cktm57

Mar 1, 2021
I don't need ethernet, only IB. My small cluster is now working well on IS5022 (unmanaged). There was a desire to slightly increase its performance (up to 56Gb/s).
When connected via the console, the PC no longer sees switch (mst status).

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
You can easily run IB on a managed switch too, and if you dont run the manager its basically unmanaged too.

If you connect to the console port and reboot the switch you should see it booting. Then you can interrupt uboot and reflash.
I assume you have followed the conversion guide so this should be familiar?

cktm57

Mar 1, 2021
Unfortunately, I only followed the start page, where the author suggested an easy way to get to the unmamaged option using the appropriate firmware.
I can interrupt the console, but I do not know how to reflash the device using it

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
If you have a x16 slot available and $200 burning a hole in your pocket you can go this route:

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/100gbe-mellanox-180-usd.21079/

I can hit 39Gbps on an old PCIe2 system. A bit of work is required to deal with the heat pipe, but it works. Two x8 cards would be cheaper, though. You probably aren't going to hit 40Gbps single stream anyway so LAGing two cards should be a reasonable equivalent.

Have you tried it with TNSR yet? Says it can handle 100Gbps in userspace instead of kernel (DPDK build). TNSR for the Home Lab

It was super expensive when it first came out, but they have a free homelab version now: TNSR High-Performance Software Router

mmx01

Jan 17, 2020
Free TNSR for home lab IMO is the only option which makes sense.

Otherwise if you fancy a bit more effort without integrated CLI and have some linux experience, one can successfuly build DPDK + VPP + FRR and achieve exactly the same for free on Ubuntu. TNSR is build on DPDK+VPP itself plus of course other value add items one should value from their use case / support perspective.

I was forced to do so due TNSR not detecting ConnectX-3 which is mlx4 driver but it shouldn't be an issue with mlx5.

Reactions: AveryFreeman

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
Free TNSR for home lab IMO is the only option which makes sense.

Otherwise if you fancy a bit more effort without integrated CLI and have some linux experience, one can successfuly build DPDK + VPP + FRR and achieve exactly the same for free on Ubuntu. TNSR is build on DPDK+VPP itself plus of course other value add items one should value from their use case / support perspective.

I was forced to do so due TNSR not detecting ConnectX-3 which is mlx4 driver but it shouldn't be an issue with mlx5.
Well I guess it's a no from me, as well - I was planning to use it with my ConnectX-3s too. WTAF.

mmx01

Jan 17, 2020
If you want to build your own DPDK router with X3 I can dig my build config files for it. It wasn't that bad after all. You can also have startup config for VPP so on reboot you get back to what it should be. Any changes made directly to vpp via vppctl or TNSR (also vppctl) are not permanent. I was a little bit puzzled with no save config or anything like that in vpp itself but it is what it is, this is what TNSR does better.

Interesting TNSR is based on CentOS and we know how Redhat approached the subject...

I provided my feedback to Netgate when they asked about TNSR about mlx4 being excluded and it was basically impossible to build the support back in on my own. Don't expect any change though, these cards are good value for home lab but otherwise industry old.

Reactions: AveryFreeman

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
If you want to build your own DPDK router with X3 I can dig my build config files for it. It wasn't that bad after all. You can also have startup config for VPP so on reboot you get back to what it should be. Any changes made directly to vpp via vppctl or TNSR (also vppctl) are not permanent. I was a little bit puzzled with no save config or anything like that in vpp itself but it is what it is, this is what TNSR does better.

Interesting TNSR is based on CentOS and we know how Redhat approached the subject...

I provided my feedback to Netgate when they asked about TNSR about mlx4 being excluded and it was basically impossible to build the support back in on my own. Don't expect any change though, these cards are good value for home lab but otherwise industry old.
Yeah, that'd be great. I'm still a little confused about how the stuff fits together. I built dpdk a few times years ago, but then discovered there was nothing to really use it with at the time, given that basically all linux network software was using kernel based TCP routing - either that, or I was just very confused.

Have you seen there's a dpdk OpenvSwitch package? I wonder if that might be useful. I heard it has some overhead, but if you're using dpdk probably wouldn't matter, huh?

Code:
% apt show openvswitch-switch-dpdk
Package: openvswitch-switch-dpdk
Version: 2.15.0+ds1-2
Priority: optional
Section: net
Source: openvswitch
Maintainer: Debian OpenStack <team+openstack@tracker.debian.org>
Installed-Size: 3,203 kB
Depends: dpdk, openvswitch-switch (= 2.15.0+ds1-2), libc6 (>= 2.29), libcap-ng0 (>= 0.7.9), librte-eal21 (>= 20.11), librte-ethdev21 (>= 20.11), librte-mbuf21 (>= 20.11), librte-mempool21 (>= 20.11), librte-meter21 (>= 20.11), librte-vhost21 (>= 20.11), libssl1.1 (>= 1.1.0), libunbound8 (>= 1.8.0), openvswitch-common (>= 2.15.0+ds1)
Enhances: openvswitch-switch
Homepage: http://openvswitch.org/
Download-Size: 979 kB
APT-Sources: http://debian.osuosl.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 Packages
Description: DPDK enabled Open vSwitch switch implementation
Open vSwitch is a production quality, multilayer, software-based,
Ethernet virtual switch. It is designed to enable massive network
automation through programmatic extension, while still supporting
standard management interfaces and protocols (e.g. NetFlow, IPFIX,
sFlow, SPAN, RSPAN, CLI, LACP, 802.1ag). In addition, it is designed
to support distribution across multiple physical servers similar to
VMware's vNetwork distributed vswitch or Cisco's Nexus 1000V.
openvswitch-switch provides the userspace components and utilities for
the Open vSwitch kernel-based switch.
DPDK is a set of libraries for fast packet processing. Applications run
in user-space and communicate directly with dedicated network interfaces.
This package provides a DPDK enabled implementation of the ovs-vswitchd
binary.
Edit: So there's this, right? VPP Technology

But then, there's this, which is kernel based: XDP - IO Visor Project

Ever tried the xdp stuff? I don't really see it as often, but it sounds like it'd be more compatible with legacy network software, given it leverages the kernel...

Last edited:

mmx01

Jan 17, 2020
True :)

To maybe get back from off-top, I was unable to resolve ACLs on VLAN interfaces on SX6012. The only other option was to separate filtered and non-filtered VLANs and have SX6012 do L3 routing for non-filtered ones and have service VLAN to pfsense which is handling filtering and L3 routing of everything else. Compromise yet working quite well.

M

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
True :)

To maybe get back from off-top, I was unable to resolve ACLs on VLAN interfaces on SX6012. The only other option was to separate filtered and non-filtered VLANs and have SX6012 do L3 routing for non-filtered ones and have service VLAN to pfsense which is handling filtering and L3 routing of everything else. Compromise yet working quite well.

M
I stuck our thread hijack over here: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...-g-xdp-vs-dpdk-what-do-you-use-and-why.32101/

crash_maxed

Oct 30, 2019
This thread has had many useful hints and information that has let me get my EMC OS SX6018 cross-flashed. I also have a native MLNX-OS SX6036 and have come up with a bit of a hybrid approach to dealing with these EMC OS units.

Instead of flashing mlnxbase into the first OS area, /dev/mtdblock6, TFTPing into the manufacturing OS from https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...anox-sx6xxx-on-ebay.10786/page-42#post-288220 has all the tools necessary to cross-flash the switch. You just need to chroot into the OS area to run mddbreq.

Instead of modifying customer_rootflop.sh I am applying a license key after messing around with ltrace and the dumplicense / genlicense binaries. This has the added benefit of being able to enable the fabric inspector without messing with mddbreq and also gets rid of the [web.WARNING]: util_ui_api_is_ib_eth_vpi_enabled: HW supports: IB ETH VPI profiles, but they are not enabled by HW VPD or license. log messages without the need to hexedit /opt/tms/lib/web/handlers/rh per https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...-as-mellanox-sx6xxx-on-ebay.10786/post-292322, at least in my experience.

Using my guide from https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/mellanox-sx6036-36ports-qsfp-€150.24158/post-296976 you can get bash CLI access without the need to mess with passwd and shadow symlinks. Using this method you can still add, delete, and/or modify user accounts and passwords.

And finally, while not related to the cross-flash procedure, you can IB SM HA cluster with a native MLNX-OS unit if you review my details in https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/mellanox-sx6036-36ports-qsfp-€150.24158/post-296976.

Last edited: