Beware - Emulex 10GbE Virtual Fabric Adapter II x8 PCI-E slot

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

shpitz461

Sep 29, 2017
Many thanks, I'll give it a shot.
And by calling Broadcom's site a dumpster-fire, you just insulted REAL dumpster-fires :)
I think Broadcom's support site is run by the government, nothing but misinformation, can't find anything in it...

dtctech

Jul 2, 2020
I've been desperately trying to get one of these NICs (49Y7942) to work on Ubuntu 18.04 and had the same "link down" issue.
Tried different firmware versions and settings, but no luck.

Until I suddenly found out that running the ethtool test activates the link:

sudo ethtool -t enp1s0f0
sudo ethtool -t enp1s0f1

So I've added this command to /etc/network/interfaces and now the link comes up at boot as expected:
auto enp1s0f0
iface enp1s0f0 inet dhcp
pre-up ethtool -t enp1s0f0

It's on IBM Firmware 10.2.261.36-1, be2net driver version 12.0.0.0.

It works fine with a passive DAC cable (Arista CAB-SFP-SFP-2M) as well as Cisco SFP-10G-SR
I haven't noticed any performance issues so far.
Thanks so much. I fought with this card, an Aruba switch, and a DAC cable for quite a while. I upgraded to the newest firmware/v12.xx. Finally ran the
Code:
sudo ethtool -t eth1
in unRAID and shell and the link like came on and everything is working.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
crosslinking another thread here:

I installed my old card into a newer Z490 motherboard and the whole board couldn't boot unless I changed the bios to CSM mode, UEFI mode was a failure. I was able to change from the last "broadcom" firmware to a newrer HPE firmware, and UEFI mode actually works and the system can boot!

So excited to still be able to use my eleven year old NIC.

Reactions: blunden