Beware: Amazon Seagate drives sold by Platinum Micro

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just as a heads-up for folks. I purchased two Seagate Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD v4 5TB drives from Platinum Micro through Amazon.com.

They came and clearly had DP/N 06FDT5 on them. I looked up the drives on Seagate's warranty checker:
upload_2015-11-14_9-26-37.png

Luckily Amazon makes returns super easy. Just wanted to let folks know that even some of the larger Amazon sellers one needs to watch for.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
That's interesting, their listing description says OEM with 5 year warranty. Maybe they sent the wrong drives or are confused by what OEM means and how it pertains to warranty, I suspect the latter.

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
How do I know if drives I just purchased from Amazon are OEM with no warranty? My 8TB archive drives have both a PN and a DP/N on there. If I put in the PN, it says it has warranty until OCT 2018. If I put in the DP/N 0RHPR0, it says it cannot find the drive.

Serial z840akb2
PN 1na17z-003
DP/N 0RHPR0

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
How do I know if drives I just purchased from Amazon are OEM with no warranty? My 8TB archive drives have both a PN and a DP/N on there. If I put in the PN, it says it has warranty until OCT 2018. If I put in the DP/N 0RHPR0, it says it cannot find the drive.

Serial z840akb2
PN 1na17z-003
DP/N 0RHPR0
DP/N will likely not work with the drive vendor's systems.

PN + Serial number should get you a better idea. Worst case, you can always ask.

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
OK thanks. . So putting in the PN and serial gets me a three year warranty date from the website. Is that all I need to know its valid? Or should I do more research?

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
I did email them and they confirmed warranty for me.. and are updating it for the day I received it, not the original, so that is great. Thanks!

uOpt

Dec 12, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
I highly recommend buying Seagates drives, well not but let's leave that aside. If you buy them buy from Amazon on Amazon, not a third party reseller. If Seagate then pulls the trick on you that the warranty has ended because it started when the drive left the factory Amazon will help you. They did for me.

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
Yep... the Seagate rep did warn me against buying from a third party on Amazon, but went ahead and updated my warranty to my ship date. Good service from Seagate. Hopefully the drives hold up for a long time.

Stanza

Jan 11, 2014
Can you look them up on the Dell site?

DP/N says Dell Part Number to me.

coolrunnings82

Mar 26, 2012
I am not a Platinum Micro fan personally. I bought a whole bunch of Norton AntiVirus licenses from them once and they shipped me an international version that is illegal for sale in the United States. By the time I had realized this I had had them for more than 30 days and they refused to do anything about it...

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Can you look them up on the Dell site?

DP/N says Dell Part Number to me.
Dell doesn't have warranty lookup except for complete systems, unfortunately.

DP/N is Dell Part Number. That is not necessarily an indication of a Dell OEM part, though - many years ago I bought some Turtle Beach Montego audio cards direct from the manufacturer and they came with DP/N stickers.