BestBuy-WD 8TB External-Limit 1 per order-$130

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Son of Homer

May 9, 2016
I have heard on Reddit there is a higher chance that the NEBB has a white label rather than red label. No practical difference, unless you have a problem with the 3v pin as discussed earlier.
I looked at both Reddit and SD forums. The ununanimous consensus seems to be yes, they are WD Red, which are rebranded HGST Ultrastar Helium, but with variations of label - some Red, some White, variations of cache - some 256MB, smoe 128GB, some or all of the NEBB having the weird variant which has the 3.3v problem, and which can be resolved by using tape. It appears that the $160 NESN does not have the 3.3v problem.
8TB WD Easystore External USB 3.0 Hard Drive $160 + Free Shipping
Black Friday: WD Easystore 8TB for $129.99 (valid Thursday, Nov. 23, 5 p.m.–1 a.m and Friday, Nov. 24, 8 a.m.–10 p.m.) • r/DataHoarder

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
I bit on the drives...again. NOw there's a chance that these are White labels that have some sort of power problem in some systems with the 3.3V instead of 5V power. Not sure this is a big deal or not, I'm gonna update my main backup array with a pair of these just to see how they work.

Reactions: Son of Homer

pmo

Jan 29, 2017
No one will pick up the phone today or tomorrow the lines are wrapped around the entire store.

Serhan

Sep 22, 2017
They had the $169 version on the shelf , and none of the $129 version. Someone told me that they had a bunch of these behind the checkout counter. These have a yellow holiday offer sticker on top so I now patiently wait until I can pay. It will be a long night.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
What's the best way to send these drives back for RMA? I have one that is running nuclear hot in the case doing a preclear (113F) so I'm curious what is the best/easiest way to RMA this drive.

DaddyGrant

Jul 14, 2016
What's the best way to send these drives back for RMA? I have one that is running nuclear hot in the case doing a preclear (113F) so I'm curious what is the best/easiest way to RMA this drive.
The only way I see RMA being viable is by putting the drive back into the case and sending it off for RMA. Hopefully you were careful in the disassembly.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
There's also a serial sticker on the shell, make sure it matches the drive if you shucked multiple.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
The only way I see RMA being viable is by putting the drive back into the case and sending it off for RMA. Hopefully you were careful in the disassembly.

I never cracked open the USB drive to do my initial clearing, best part about unraid's testing. I can ship the drive back in the case as I never took it out. I guess just open up 2 RMA's with them and go from there? The disks are registering 113-115F in the case.

keybored

May 28, 2016
In the original case/enclosure that it came in or in your computer case? If the former then there is nothing wrong with the drive. I had the same issue with all of mine and others reported high temps as well when running them for many hours at a time. They did not design these enclosures for sustained loads.
I just put a 140mm fan next to mine while they ran through all the pre-clear tasks and temps never went above 30-32C.

Last edited:

thayerz00r

Mar 27, 2016
Tyler, TX
I picked up three for my unraid server yesterday, all WD80EFAX Red/256mb cache. Shucked them and installed, fired right up. Running preclear now.
Thanks for the heads up on the deal!

Last edited: