BestBuy-WD 8TB External-Limit 1 per order-$130

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
It is a different external drive, so hence the new model number. From what I can tell is that the drive is a white label, Hitachi Ultrastar 8TB He drive with a WD sticker on it.

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
It is a different external drive, so hence the new model number. From what I can tell is that the drive is a white label, Hitachi Ultrastar 8TB He drive with a WD sticker on it.
if it's an ultrastar 8tb he then that would make this an insane deal no?

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
I managed to jump on one.

At that price it would be worth it as a last line of defense backup drive, even if it was a just a wd green.

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
i missed the online deal and it went OOS. I went to BB and grabbed couple of 8tb and tried to price match online price. BUT the model# is different to the previous 8tb easystore one. I always thought there only one model of this and now there are 2 different ones. They are not able to price match and the old model still priced at $199.99. I believe the newer model still have wd red inside but just with the white label instead of red label.

Reactions: aij

Cybertron

Oct 4, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Yup, I grabbed this as a drive to backup my current NAS while I migrate over to the 8x 8TB drives on
bought for $180. If only i could have had them all at this price, yikes. But I'll crack this one open when it arrives and can confirm for folks what we have in these.

Harry P. Nyce

Harry P. Nyce
Sep 27, 2017
I grabbed a few of these over the late Spring / early Summer period @ $179 -- two were the glorious 256MB cache WD80EFAX WD Red drives, while the other was unfortunately a 128MB version. I shucked the two identical and continue to use the other as an external backup for my 8TB mirrored ReFS Storage Space running under Windows 10 Pro.

Looking forward to some reports on what these new drives contain. That price is incredible. Unfortunately they sold out before i was able to grab one.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com

apnar

Mar 5, 2011
so, that's the drive with issue of not powering up if there's a 3.3V source, right?

info here: https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/HGST-Power-Disable-Pin-TB.pdf

there's mention of using adapter and cutting off the 3.3V line (yellow?). but wouldn't it be easier to just block/tape off the pins on the SATA power connector for 3.3V?
Yeah, and easy to reverse. Here is a site showing how to tape the pin:

HGST 7K6000 Not Spinning Up (Not Working) - Zack Reed - Design and Coding

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Btw, does anyone know what kind of 2.5" disk is inside WD - easystore 4TB External USB 3.0 Portable? Are these reliable? The reviews are good, but i can't see ppl opening the case to see the actual drive inside.
I'm planning to order a few to build a custom NAS using one OrangePi.