BestBuy - 12TB Easystore USB HDD - $180

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Easystores now exclusively ship with WD120EMFZs which require the 3.3v mod, having 512MB cache and are lower binned versions of the 14TBs. The Elements still ship with the WD120EMAZs which don't require the 3.3v mod and come with only 256MB cache. For some reason the EMAZs have a sustained write of ~100MB/s while the EMFZs can go up to ~200MB/s.

Reactions: Samir and dawsonkm

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Does this mean that EMFZ is a better drive than EMAZ ?
How about mix and matching EMFZ and EMAZ in ZFS ??
Currently my ZFS storage server is running 2x vdev of 6x 12TB EMAZ and I want to expand another 2 vdev soon (10% capacity left)
Should I wait for Elements to get on sale of mix and matching EMFZ and EMAZ is competely fine ?

Reactions: Samir

josh

Oct 21, 2013
No idea. Can't decide myself. Trying to figure out which of the EMFZ or EMAZ belongs as a standalone drive and which belongs in an array.

KC8FLB

Aug 12, 2018
"Nobody is reporting" is an interesting claim, as it seems to imply that you're familiar with every report, made by everyone, everywhere.

Anyway, for whatever it's worth, here's what a Redditor got back when they actually asked WD. Spoiler: they declined to answer: WD response + 12TB easystores + SMR or PMR : DataHoarder
Apologies, I may have been mistaken. I have shucked many of these drives for the last few years, been reading multiple forums where members shuck many of these drives and after reading hundreds of comments and threads over the last few years, have never seen anyone report that they have received a shingled drive.

which WD EasyStore drives come with shingled drives? That would really help members understand what they are getting.

thank you

dc_carguy

Jan 21, 2020
Vancouver BC
Apologies, I may have been mistaken. I have shucked many of these drives for the last few years, been reading multiple forums where members shuck many of these drives and after reading hundreds of comments and threads over the last few years, have never seen anyone report that they have received a shingled drive.

which WD EasyStore drives come with shingled drives? That would really help members understand what they are getting.

thank you
found this

"WD external HDD drives that have SMR (Shingled Magnetic Recording) drive inside, offer TRIM command support"

Link:
TRIM Command Support for WD External Drives

DC

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
was just about to buy a few of the 12TB for $180 ... then, when I added to cart, it was $250!!!! Total fail... :-(

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
I dont think there has been any shingled in the Easystores yet. I dont know why this question pops up every time. I guess its Toshiba or Seagate that wants to slow the trend of shucking WD drives.

Reactions: Samir and KC8FLB

azev

Jan 18, 2013
So I have gotten both flavor of the drives EMAZ and EMFZ and individually benchmarking those drives seems to yield similar result.
I currently have a pool that comprise of 2 vdev with 6x EMAZ for one and 6x EMFZ for another. Performance of the pool is what you would expect from a spinners so it seems ok. I got about 50% utilization right now so maybe as I filled up the drives I will start seeing the shortcoming of the vdev if one of them are SMR drives.