Best VPS / Recommended?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

F1ydave

Mar 9, 2014
I am looking for a VPS for my websites. They are all wordpress and my most recent one has outgrown the shared server in less than 2 months. Time for me to move them all to a faster/dedicated home.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I like the DigitalOcean and actually AWS options. AWS does have some nice infrastructure benefits (e.g. Route53 and some of the monitoring features.) Linode is fairly popular also.

On the other hand, you could buy a $500 server, colo it for $30/ mo and have all the power you would need for some time and get much more performance. RAM ends up being the limiting factor in WP performance once it is cached properly. RAM is inexpensive for a colo'd server.

Are these already nginx + varnish + MariaDB configurations?

F1ydave

Mar 9, 2014
I was reading this post from June/July on comparisons done and it just so happened that he had just posted up his newest comparison of providers. My current config is apache + mysql. I was going to setup nginx + php-fpm (based on this - 40 Million hits a day on WordPress using a $10 VPS | Review Signal Blog

Current Article posted the other day - WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks (November 2014) | Review Signal Blog

What do you think? I was looking at Kinsta for $57/m. I forgot about colo's. That is not a bad idea...I may have to look into this later today.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just as a FYI - that is a default installation. I have been working on using a sanitized STH image as a potential example for performance testing. The hard part becomes dependencies since there are waits for external resources. Things change as content is added.

One nice thing about colo is you do not have as much resource contention. In VPS you have to worry about noisy neighbors. In colo, you at least have control regarding who is in the neighborhood.

vikingboy

Jun 17, 2014
Would appreciate some pointers to colo's who are highly rated please.
For VPS I like ramnode. Lot quicker than digital Oceans in my testing.

daniel_browning

Feb 4, 2012
I am looking for a VPS for my websites.
What I do is go to Low End Box - Cheap VPS Hosting Providers Listing & Reviews and look at the "Top Provider Poll" results, then investigate them in more detail (especially by reading forum comments about them on lowendbox.com and elsewhere). That's how I found ramhost.us and iniz.com. For the last half-year or so I've had an OpenVZ VPS at iniz.com. I used a lowendbox.com promotion code for this VPS at their Los Angeles location:

75 GB HDD
2 GB RAM
1.5 TB BW
2 IP addresses
$7/month

So far the cpu, disk I/O, bandwidth, and reliability have been great (no outages so far).