Best solution for 10GbE on macbook pro

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Those are pretty much all there is. Problems are mostly with bus overhead if you were to try to pump 10GbE over USB 3, so you'll always end up with Thunderbolt which is a bit more expensive due to the additional technology and tolerances involved (it essentially has to be PCIe over a wire without dropping data - much harder than one might expect).

There are 2.5G options that are much cheaper, but that's no 10G of course.

A small amount of copper 10GbE adapters are on the market that are a teeny tiny bit cheaper but you lose NBase-T support and of course no fiber support. They generally do 10GbE and 1GbE but nothing in between. So right now, the one you've found is about as good as it tends to get.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
that is the one that I use on my intel mbp. I found that F/O works fine - tried a few different vendor trans, cisco, brocade, chelsio - all worked fine. 10Gbt however has been a real crapshoot and the couple of lower end trans that I tried (mikrotik and a no name) were both horrific unless the cable was about 3M long and seemed to behave better when both ends had the same copper trans.

Tested with ICX6610 and ICX7250, Cisco SG500X

arcadeperfect

Feb 6, 2021
thanks to all for the info. my thunderbolt dock / daisy chained nic will be right by the switch, using fs.com copper cable about 1.5 ft. my nas can just barely saturate 10gb anyway so i’m fine with a bit below. sounds like this is best / only option ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sjhwilkes

Oct 17, 2020
Unless you can stick a 10G-BaseT SFP+ in the other end, then the couple of copper based adaptors for $150 open up. I have two different ones from OWC, which both work fine.

Brian Puccio

Jul 26, 2014
I have that model connected to a CalDigit hub connected to an M1 MBP. It’s reliable and I can push 9+ gbps through it when benchmarking — not that I can actually sustain real transfers to/from disk at that rate.