Best SOHO POE powered Switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RichAlgeni

Sep 3, 2022
I am looking for recommendations on a SOHO POE powered 1GB unmanaged switch, with 4 to 8 ports. This switch will not need to power anything, but it itself must be able to be powered by POE.

On a side note, I would love to see a version of the Hubitat Zigbee Hub be able to be powered by POE.

Thanks for your help!

RichAlgeni

Sep 3, 2022

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
Depending on your requirements for aesthetics and extra cabling and such, you could also go with a PoE splitter (e.g., https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CFATQK or https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HS4NT13) and just about any switch of your choosing. It seems a lot of the little 5- and 8-port switches (smart or not) these days are pretty low power and can work off such a splitter. - I did this behind my TV in our family room for a little while when I was trying out various streaming sticks and trying to determine if Wifi or hard-wired would work best.

bob_dvb

Sep 7, 2018
Not quite London
www.orbit.me.uk
One of the disappointing things for me is that there aren't any affordable 8/10 port, managed POE switches with multi-gigabit uplink. If you're connecting to another switch, it seems weird to only uplink 1G.

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
One of the disappointing things for me is that there aren't any affordable 8/10 port, managed POE switches with multi-gigabit uplink. If you're connecting to another switch, it seems weird to only uplink 1G.
I agree, to an extent. It depends on what you're putting on the switch, though. If it's just a bunch of PoE cameras that only have 10/100 interfaces anyway, a gigabit uplink is more than sufficient. If you're putting access points, though, that's another story...

Reactions: bob_dvb

RichAlgeni

Sep 3, 2022
I bought a used Juniper EX3300-24P on EBay early last year, they were $300. Excellent condition. I have updated firmware for them. I loved it so much, I bought a second one for one of my stores.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I've been using one of these MikroTik

I'm curious if anyone has experience with PoE Splitters for use cases like this
I run a ubiquiti POE splitter (not sure what they call it) but I run 1 CAT5 with POE to the device, and out of the device I power 3 POE cameras. The device has no other power.

smokey7722

Oct 20, 2015
I use active POE splitters from POE Texas for 5v and 12v stuff all the time. I have powered small switches, IR illuminators, tons of random equipment and such running on them for years now.