Best RJ 45 CAT 6 Ethernet Jack crimping video tutorial for Dummies?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

xbliss

Sep 26, 2015
Best RJ 45 CAT 6 Ethernet Jack crimping video tutorial for Dummies?

Need to teach/ show a small bunch of workers in a small manufacturing / factory workshop how to splice an Ethernet cable and crimp it using an average/ standard Crimping tool.

Not everyone speaks/ understands English well, but VISUAL CLARITY & CORRECT VISUAL METHODOLOGY will help.

Why? Some of these people break the "jack", mostly its clip too often. Most of the jacks they have all over are in dire need of replacement and no cabling guy/ company will come do this, especially with the frequency with which they break these.

And half the times wonder if something else is messing with the network when its just something as simple as this.

Yes yes, you will say teach them not to break.. (will be doing that) but welcome to Asia and its issues.

I'd rather have a few people learn how to fix the jacks, than pray & hope that 20/ 30 people never break the jack damage the cable.

PS: I've you tubed this stuff a bit, but would prefer to go with something that folks recommend as being most CLEAR & EASY for a layman.

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
If you have a 3d printer, there are lots of designs on thingiverse.com to repair the clips. There might be a commercial version available as well. You might try using the cables with the boots when doing replacement cables. They do help with that a fair bit.

xbliss

Sep 26, 2015
If you have a 3d printer, there are lots of designs on thingiverse.com to repair the clips. There might be a commercial version available as well. You might try using the cables with the boots when doing replacement cables. They do help with that a fair bit.
Can you link to some specific items on that site?

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
The time and cost of printing a new tab vastly outweighs the time and cost of crimping on a new jack (or even replacing the whole patch lead).

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
If you happen to have a printer and don't have a crimper and ends, or just don't like crimping ends I guess, it's not a big deal. The cost is near nothing, it's a couple grams of filament. The time is a few minutes, particularly if you print a batch of them at once and keep them around. I could probably print a couple dozen of those at one time.

I certainly wouldn't suggest buying a printer for this one use, but if you have it already, it can be a good quick method to make them work for now. I would replace them with booted patch leads, and/or add a boot when crimping new connectors on, people are much less likely to break those.

xbliss

Sep 26, 2015
Thanks for that. Always something new to learn :)
PS: Some day when we have a 3D printer and a jack that has been loyal for decades, I will :) ha ha!
But, as I said, it was interesting to see what people do on Maker sites. I signed up thanks to you.

The time and cost of printing a new tab vastly outweighs the time and cost of crimping on a new jack (or even replacing the whole patch lead).
Yeah! I hope to get people to learn this so that they can Self Heal :p