Best RAID card for a 1x slot / freenas - rely upon OS or RAID controller due to 1x slot?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

arctichenry

Jun 1, 2015
Hello all,

So I am picking up a SoC system soon with the intent of it being a small, stupidly low power NAS. I don't care about throughput, however it will be used as a iSCSI host for vm's (hosted on a old macbook pro, yay free hardware) and as a mass-backup server for the parents (harddrives never die they say... Tis but a matter of time). The SoC, the Q1900M, I am getting for free but with a stupidly low amount of SATA connectors. I was considering (as all the slots are electrically 1x) putting the RAID controller in the 16x slot, and then populating the other two with 1 or 2 port NIC's for only iSCSI traffic.

Regarding the 1x electrical slot, what card if any should I use? I was eyeing a card flashed into IT mode so freeNAS could deal with the drives, however that also leads into my next question.

Regarding freeNAS and the low bandwidth of the 1x slot, should I just stuck with keeping all RAID functionality on the RAID card? It is my understanding that freeNAS can talk to the drives directly through a card in IT mode, however I am worried about a drive replication, resilvering or other functions killing any and all performance due to the lack of bandwidth. Should I accept that freeNAS will yell at me and use the RAID card as a RAID card?

Thank you!

neo

Mar 18, 2015
If you care for your data, ZFS likes to talk directly to the drives.