Best OS for SAN

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jaesii

Feb 6, 2016
Looking to improve on my home lab setup.

I currently have 2 esxi servers and a synology nas im using as a SAN.

The esxi hosts and synology all have 10G ethernet. The hosts are directly attached to the synology using DAC cables.

I'm getting poor performance with the synology and am looking to move to a dedicated diy SAN solution.
vMotion rockets along since its on its own dedicated 10G network, but general disk performace is poor, and I have SSD R/W cache.

I already have a Supermicro server with 8x 2.5" drive bays and a raid controller that supports JBOD that im going to use for the SAN.

What is the best OS out there to use as a SAN? I plan on using iSCSI.

I've looked into FreeNAS, but I feel its overkill (in terms of features/overhead) for what I'm looking to do.

I've tried openfiler and its just flat out crap. I'd like to stay within the open source / linux realm for the OS.

Anyone here have any suggestions?

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
Omnios with napp-it,freenas,nas4free, windows with storage spaces..

I pref omnios or nas4free or just plain freebsd

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
The biggest storage improvement of the last 10 years are CopyOnWrite filesystems and checksums on real data and metadata not only on blocklevel like within a disk.

The best of all is ZFS with Solaris as its origin and the best of all ZFS integration into the OS.
An alternative to the commercial Oracle Solaris is OmniOS, a free Solaris fork.

Reactions: cperalt1 and whitey

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
The biggest storage improvement of the last 10 years are CopyOnWrite filesystems and checksums on real data and metadata not only on blocklevel like within a disk.

The best of all is ZFS with Solaris as its origin and the best of all ZFS integration into the OS.
An alternative to the commercial Oracle Solaris is OmniOS, a free Solaris fork.
Concur