Best motherboard for dual E5-2620v2?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Phate

Jun 5, 2015
SLC, UT
I mentioned at work the other day that I wanted to learn more about virtualization, possibly learning how to get OpenStack going. I came into work yesterday to note from my Boss that said "Had some spare parts. Let me know what you learn." and box on my desk with the following:
I'm looking for the best motherboard I can plug this all in to. I intend to then drop this in a tower case as I don't have access to a rack at the moment. I'd also like to be able to use use the Hyper 212 Evo coolers I've got chilling in the closet so I'd prefer it if the motherboard had Square ILM CPU sockets. However I'm more then willing to bite the bullet and get different coolers if the best motherboard has Narrow ILM sockets.

Any suggestions?

Reactions: T_Minus

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Nice boss there @Phate

Luckily almost anything 2011 (the first rev) is going to be good for virtualization. Most have at least 4 dimm per CPU so that's easy and only 2 drives is easy too. You'd lose some performance having 1 CPU with only 2 dimms but that's OK for non-production.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
The 'best' would be subjective to your needs. Do you need 24 ram slots or 10GigE or IB or ? What size fits in your case? I doubt EEATX.