best heatsink (4U) for 2xEpyc 280W

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
The AMD SP3 4U-P42 looks interesting. It has one more heatpipe than the SNK-P0064AP4 4U Supermicro cooler. Any place in the US that carries the AMD SP3 4U-P42? Depending on the price, I might be interested in picking one up to compare to the SNK-P0064AP4 heatsink.

diogin

Mar 28, 2018
Beijing, China
The AMD SP3 4U-P42 looks interesting. It has one more heatpipe than the SNK-P0064AP4 4U Supermicro cooler. Any place in the US that carries the AMD SP3 4U-P42? Depending on the price, I might be interested in picking one up to compare to the SNK-P0064AP4 heatsink.
I don't know whether they'll ship to US.
I have bought one (from taobao.com), and it only costs 160 CNY, about 25 USD.

LolSalad

May 28, 2021
I Would just recommend the SNK-P0064AP4. You can find it on Supermicro’s Estore website should be able to handle up to 280w TDP

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Noctua 140mm > supermicro 4U P0064 > be quiet dark Rock pro.

The supermicro is the cheapest by far and can handle 280 W with reasonable temps. Also the noctua blow up not back and may not give enough air to the VRMs (which can be an issue)

P.s. I noticed the new Intel 4U by supermicro is nearly the same with a 5000 RPM fan rather than 3500 on the epyc version. So fan upgrades are also an option (but unnecessary)

ectoplasmosis

Jul 28, 2021
I Would just recommend the SNK-P0064AP4. You can find it on Supermicro’s Estore website should be able to handle up to 280w TDP
I'd like to know how the extra 6th heatpipe on the AMD SP3 4U-P42 affects performance.

I've used several 4U Noctua TR4-SP3 heatsinks with 2x 92mm fans with 200W EPYC 7443P systems and it keeps it at ~70C with all cores loaded with Prime95 at a low noise level, but all-core turbo is stuck at ~3.4GHz.

LolSalad

May 28, 2021
I'd like to know how the extra 6th heatpipe on the AMD SP3 4U-P42 affects performance.

I've used several 4U Noctua TR4-SP3 heatsinks with 2x 92mm fans with 200W EPYC 7443P systems and it keeps it at ~70C with all cores loaded with Prime95 at a low noise level, but all-core turbo is stuck at ~3.4GHz.
I would like to know this as well. It seems like this unit is hard to come by. Maybe someone here has tried it. I’d assume Supermicro would designed their Heatsink based on AMDs spec (possibly the 4U-P42). Performance shouldn’t be to far off.

ectoplasmosis

Jul 28, 2021
I would like to know this as well. It seems like this unit is hard to come by. Maybe someone here has tried it. I’d assume Supermicro would designed their Heatsink based on AMDs spec (possibly the 4U-P42). Performance shouldn’t be to far off.
I might just spend the £25 and buy one from AliExpress.

Performance will obviously depend on the fan used; I can't imagine the one supplied would be great in terms of noise/performance.

Just need to find a good high-rpm PWM-controlled 92mm fan first...

DigitalMG

Dec 15, 2017
Hi,
I have installed Dual AMD EPYC 7773X on Supermicro H12Dsi-NT6 motherboard.
CPU coolers are SNK‑P0064AP4 and the chassis is 743AC-1K26B-SQ
Unfortunately , CPU overheats under continuous 128 cores heavy load and system goes down after 5 mins.
I think high RPM fan like 6000 RPM should be replaced with the current Fans supplied with SNK‑P0064AP4.
Does any one have similar experience ?

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
It's not just the CPU coolers. Which case do you use? Which/how many fans? How are the fans controlled?

DigitalMG

Dec 15, 2017
It's not just the CPU coolers. Which case do you use? Which/how many fans? How are the fans controlled?
Case : Supermicro 743AC-1K26B-SQ
2 middle case fans to suck air from case front, one end fan to blow out hot air. factory default.
and one fan for each CPU heat sink.
Fans are PWM controlled by the mainboard. even adjusting to full speed does not help a lot.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
You need to add two more fans to the fan wall to complete it. I have no idea why SM only includes 2 fans. 4 are needed to actually get the warm air out of the case, especially with 2 CPU’s.

Reactions: alex_stief

DigitalMG

Dec 15, 2017
You need to add two more fans to the fan wall to complete it. I have no idea why SM only includes 2 fans. 4 are needed to actually get the warm air out of the case, especially with 2 CPU’s.
Do you mean 2 more fans in the middle ?
Even I have left the case door open and put it in room with 18 C temperature, but no changes. do you still believe in middle fans?

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Do you mean 2 more fans in the middle ?
Even I have left the case door open and put it in room with 18 C temperature, but no changes. do you still believe in middle fans?
Yes, the middle fan wall needs to be fully populated and the case cover needs to be on/sealed for the front/back airflow to work properly. Think of it like a 4U case that stands vertical. Case fan airflow is critical to getting cool air to the CPU and onboard heatsinks and moving hot air away from those components.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Jepp, that case isn't the greatest for airflow, or at least requires a lot of fan power to push enough air for two 200W+ CPUs. Some SI tried to sell me on that case for a similar build, I said no thank you. Adding the second rear exhaust fan won't hurt either.

It may seem counterintuitive, but leaving the side panel open with these cases can actually hurt cooling performance due to leakage. You want all the air pulled by the fans to come into contact with the heat sources.

DigitalMG

Dec 15, 2017
Jepp, that case isn't the greatest for airflow, or at least requires a lot of fan power to push enough air for two 200W+ CPUs. Some SI tried to sell me on that case for a similar build, I said no thank you. Adding the second rear exhaust fan won't hurt either.

It may seem counterintuitive, but leaving the side panel open with these cases can actually hurt cooling performance due to leakage. You want all the air pulled by the fans to come into contact with the heat sources.

What Chassis and Motherboard do you recommend for full continues 128 cores load on Dual AMD 7773X? 4U rack mounting is preferred if it produces lower noise.