best heatsink (4U) for 2xEpyc 280W

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
CPU coolers are SNK‑P0064AP4 and the chassis is 743AC-1K26B-SQ
Unfortunately , CPU overheats under continuous 128 cores heavy load and system goes down after 5 mins.
I think high RPM fan like 6000 RPM should be replaced with the current Fans supplied with SNK‑P0064AP4.
the SNK‑P0064AP4 is classified 180W TDP, you can try Dynatron A35 with 280W classified TDP value, but i doubt they are much better.
the second Cooler gets the warm air form the first one, i would give the Noctua NH-U12S (with dual fan) a try.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
What Chassis and Motherboard do you recommend for full continues 128 cores load on Dual AMD 7773X? 4U rack mounting is preferred if it produces lower noise.
I don't know the market for rackmount cases. If I need it quiet, I'd rather not constrain myself to these form factors. And if it gets mounted in a rack, that rack is usually far away from me.
IMO the best workstation case for dual-socket Epyc is the Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2, at least in terms of air cooling. It can be configured in bottom-to-top airflow, which pairs nicely with the larger Noctua air coolers like the NH-U14S TR4-SP3. But of course no rack-mounting with this one.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
What Chassis and Motherboard do you recommend for full continues 128 cores load on Dual AMD 7773X? 4U rack mounting is preferred if it produces lower noise.
The 743 is a good case, you just need to add the rest of the case fans and another rear fan if your chassis has the dual rear fan config. Anything else in 4U, such as a CSE-846 will be louder and still have issues with heat if you’re trying to keep it on the quieter side.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
the SNK‑P0064AP4 is classified 180W TDP, you can try Dynatron A35 with 280W classified TDP value, but i doubt they are much better.
the second Cooler gets the warm air form the first one, i would give the Noctua NH-U12S (with dual fan) a try.
Please do NOT buy a NH-U12S, it is too tall and will not fit in a 4U case.

DigitalMG

Dec 15, 2017
Hi,
It says up to 280W is supported.
I have tested A35, for single AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ PRO 3975WX 280W CPU in the same case, it is OK. but I didn't test it for Dual CPU configuration as I thought SNK‑P0064AP4 is better.
Noctua mounting position is in conjunction with middle and end fan air flow
NH-U12S-TR4-SP3 is fitting but NH-U14S-TR4-SP3 is not.
I try to add middle fans and I should check if the back end is supporting two fans. currently it has one 9cm fan only.

DigitalMG

Dec 15, 2017
Installation of back-end fan has worse effect on cooling as the exhaust flow rate is much lower than intake.
I have added two middle fans and removed back end fan completely.

it caused much better cooling for CPUs and maximum temperature reading was 93 C
but VRMCpu1 and VRMCpu2 temperature are going up to 110 C and system goes down.

Any idea !?

MattC

May 31, 2022
I am trying to solve a similar problem. I have dual 7773x processors as well but on the Tyan board S8253.

I recall reading in a review on a similar set of SuperMicro fans that the reviewer made some adjustments in bios settings that improved the fan performance by a lot and lowered the noise as well. Something about auto intelligent fan control in the settings. Not sure if that's helpful as it sounds like you've tried messing with the settings already. I've been looking into using the SNK-P0064AP4 as well but have similarly had my reservations about if it will work or not. The SNK-P0066AP4 is just a Wraith Ripper and is listed at 280W but I've read it doesn't really and is listed as lower, at 250W, elsewhere, so maybe SuperMicro is unreliable for this sort of information. I wouldn't expect that from them, not good.

Noctua teased a new variant of the DH-15 to come out that could cool stuff as high as 400W+ but it looks like it has been delayed based on the product roadmap on the website. That isn't scheduled to come out until 23Q1 though.

Another Dynatron option you can try is the A39. It is rated for up to 280W and 3U+. There is also the T17 which is for 280W and 1U+. And finally, there is also the L29 server cooling solution, which is for 280W and 1U+. Problem is they are all very loud.

I think if you are wanting to control the sound, using a case is going to be a better form factor than using a rackmount chassis. They can be larger and facilitate more airflow arrangements that are quieter. Server aren't meant to be quiet.

For me, after much deliberation, I am going to try using a Meshify 2 XL with 2 of the Arctic Freezer 4U SP3 coolers. It's worth noting that there may still be a difficulty getting these to fit into some 4U cases such as those with a motherboard tray. These are rated for 300W and also are designed with dual socket SP3 configurations in mind.

If that doesn't work I am going to try using AIOs. The Alphacool Eisbaer Pro Aurora 360 was specifically designed for the larger backplates. I am also thinking to maybe try the EK AIO 360 as it seems to have good reviews and I've been told that despite having smaller block coverage it still is the best option AIO wise on something like TRPs or this. One part I am still unsure about for that one is that a TR4/SP3 mounting bracket is needed for it, I was recommended using the Asetek TR4 bracket, but this is not an Asetek based pump, so I am not sure if that will work for it.

All that being said, I believe these Arctic Freezer coolers should work. I have been preferential towards using a server chassis as well but I think it's just not tenable. If sound isn't an issue it can be done, but if it is, it is better to build with a tower case. It seems I should also be able to switch out the fans with NF-F12 Industrial PPC-2000 PWMs, which as far as I can tell give it slightly better performance, but reduce the noise by 25%.

I'll follow up with how it goes once I give it a shot.

Last edited:

Leo Atreides

Dec 23, 2020
I used two IceGiant ProSiphon Elite but I also used 5u case. The cooler are 164mm so for u4 there would only be about 14mm for the standoffs, motherboard and CPU, you would to measure the remaining height you have.

They also blow front to back and provide some cooling for the the VRMs. I use them with overclocked 64c ES at 3.75ghz and they never overheat ( CPUs and VRMs ) .

There is a pic of the case and coolers here IceGiants in Case ( U5 )