best / cheapest 10gbe 5 port switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
I have the 5 port Mikrotik and it's been flawless for me with all ports loaded.

You can find transceivers a lot cheaper than that on good old eBay :)
The cheapest I've seen 10GbE RJ45 SFP+ transceivers (similar to $55 Mikrotik S+RJ10 or $65 UniFi UF-RJ45-10G) is $40 ipolex; I'd be interested if you have a link to cheaper ones, even used. Certainly, gigabit transceivers are dirt cheap, as well as LC fiber transceivers.

mmx01

Jan 17, 2020
My experience with MikroTik CRS305 (CRS309 is also cooled passively, running the same RouterOS just more SFP+ ports) is that:

- Power consumption is a big win
- Price to value is hard to beat yet some sacrifices have been made
- No way of line rate with L3, VLAN interfaces are good for dhcp maybe but better not consider it L3 at all
- S+RJ10s run very hot, I ended up adding a small cooler on top. It will depend on length of the copper and cat. of the ethernet cable. 20m over cat 5e gets them to 71C with the active cooler and 22C indoors. Without it was pain to watch during a warmer day... >90C
- VLAN implementation is a unique experience how something as simple in Cisco can be complicated otherwise. After you get hold of it Winbox/console of RouterOS becomes nice to work with so that's just an entry barrier

Using the S+RJ10 Side by Side or with passive cooling devices

There might be situations when it is not possible to use the recommended layout of the transceivers. In such cases where two or more S+RJ10 transceivers are plugged in beside one another or modules are used in passive cooling devices, the network administrator has to ensure additional cooling. The air flow around the device should be increased or the overall ambient temperature should be lowered to keep the temperature of the transceivers within the recommended range.

Can't imagine these being used in professional server rooms/DCs with forced air flow so YMMV when you toss it under the desk with just convection cooling.

rodpp

Feb 19, 2021
Buy once, cry once:

Managed switch, 8x 1G/2.5G/5G/10G ethernet and 4x combo SFP+/10G ethernet. The problem is the $600 list price.