Best Buy WD 10TB w Flash Drive $169.99, now $159.99

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jcl333

May 28, 2011
Hey folks, here is what I brought home this past weekend:
hard drives home.jpg

I had no trouble "shucking" them, the first one took a few minutes, but by the 7th one I did in in about 30 seconds.
ready to go.jpg

And here we are running the extended check on 5 of them:
tests.png

- Looks like it will take about 14 hours to run the surface scan
- I threw together a "server" to do this on, a computer I had around that has lots of fans and drive slots
- But, the MB only has 6 SATA ports, so will have to do it in two rounds to test all 7
- With the fans I setup, each drive has a fan blowing right over it, you can see the temps are approx. 30C or so, I was pretty proud of it all things considered ;-)

Any other tests or things I should do?

-JCL

Reactions: svtkobra7

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
lookin good man ... lookin good

Any other tests or things I should do?
The ever important "enclosure integrity check"?

Mine failed under load ...

(you know they are getting old when you can build a wall of 24 easystores around them without waking up LMAO - love that guy, he is 14)

you can see the temps are approx. 30C or so, I was pretty proud of it all things considered ;-)
Better than me for sure ...

Approaching 100 hours in ...

Needed a break from work (yes - i know my humor sux)

jcl333

May 28, 2011
lookin good man ... lookin good

The ever important "enclosure integrity check"?

Mine failed under load ...

(you know they are getting old when you can build a wall of 24 easystores around them without waking up LMAO - love that guy, he is 14)

Better than me for sure ...

Approaching 100 hours in ...

Needed a break from work (yes - i know my humor sux)
Nice, looks like you got about 24? You got them all on this last sale?

Wow, you burn them in for 100+ hours?

Your temps look fine to me, maybe you have a higher ambient where you have them.

-JCL

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
Nice, looks like you got about 24? You got them all on this last sale?
  • 12 in November / 12 this past sale.
  • They work for me - run much cooler than the HGST Deskstar NAS - 6TB drives (7200 RPM, non-He) they replaced.
Wow, you burn them in for 100+ hours?
  • Yes sir.
  • smart extended+ four badblocks patterns [0xaa (10101010), 0x55 (01010101), 0xff (11111111), 0x00 (00000000)] + smart extended
  • takes the better part of a week ... heck smart extended takes a day itself, right (19 hours if I recall)?
Your temps look fine to me, maybe you have a higher ambient where you have them.
  • He is an excellent pen tester too - managed to defeat physical security measures ... he is 2/2 tonight ...

• ... oh and to your question too, yes, higher ambient now maybe ? (76F), during summer definitely (78F), but they are working a bit, eh? Also, less than optimal airflow in the "server closet".
  • The other chassis is a bit cooler, average @ 30C.
  • Code:
    Feb 26 19 00:54:00 | Tmin,avg,max = 29,30,31°C | FAN MODE: [02]OPTIMAL NOT CHANGED

Reactions: William

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
This is now 159.99 on Amzn. I wonder if the price will drop any further
Dropped to $145 on B&H for a few hours a couple nights ago, but Slickdeals effect killed it fast. Then jumped up to $159.99 with backorder.

polar101

Mar 19, 2016
Thanks svtkobra7 for reminder of price match. I got mine credited for my previous purchases, too.

MortenB

Jul 3, 2017
Why oh why cant I order these shipped to Norway without getting ripped off :( Anyone reliable that can relay them? :)

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
Buy an extra one for me and I will export no prob! You haven't been talking to @Rand__ have you? (inside joke)

EDIT: In all honesty I have helped fellow STH members in this manner before, for free o/c, but I would nearly rather have my fingernails pulled out than deal with requisite customs docs.

MortenB

Jul 3, 2017
Buy an extra one for me and I will export no prob! You haven't been talking to @Rand__ have you? (inside joke)

EDIT: In all honesty I have helped fellow STH members in this manner before, for free o/c, but I would nearly rather have my fingernails pulled out than deal with requisite customs docs.
Hehe :) Do you need to fill out something like that if you ship it as a regular package overseas? I guess one needs to make sure its packaged appropriately.

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
Hehe :) Do you need to fill out something like that if you ship it as a regular package overseas? I guess one needs to make sure its packaged appropriately.
  • There isn't a simple answer to your question, unfortunately, as it depends on service used / value.
  • But speaking to shipping the subject parcel via USPS Priority International (only in scope):
    • The only required form = CP72 - Customs Declaration (USPS Form 2976-A)
      • Slight PITA there as it requires a trip to the post office as each form has a unique barcode on it (otherwise an electronically produced 2976-A is OK as generated from online shipping service).
    • USPS states a Commercial Invoice isn't required; however, I would think that on the receiving end, it would be beneficial from a tax perspective (and I chose to include).
      • IMO those are more of a PITA to produce.
NB: I'm far from an expert on this topic.

MortenB

Jul 3, 2017
  • There isn't a simple answer to your question, unfortunately, as it depends on service used / value.
  • But speaking to shipping the subject parcel via USPS Priority International (only in scope):
    • The only required form = CP72 - Customs Declaration (USPS Form 2976-A)
      • Slight PITA there as it requires a trip to the post office as each form has a unique barcode on it (otherwise an electronically produced 2976-A is OK as generated from online shipping service).
    • USPS states a Commercial Invoice isn't required; however, I would think that on the receiving end, it would be beneficial from a tax perspective (and I chose to include).
      • IMO those are more of a PITA to produce.
NB: I'm far from an expert on this topic.
Ok, guess its a bit too much hassle. About time europeans get anywhere close to these kind of offers :p 179 Euros from Amazon is the best so far from what I know.

gardar

Nov 15, 2012
Ok, guess its a bit too much hassle. About time europeans get anywhere close to these kind of offers :p 179 Euros from Amazon is the best so far from what I know.
It's not too bad with myus, I can get 10 of these with shipping at ~80$ to Iceland, and it seems like it's about the same price to Norway. :)

hmartin

Sep 20, 2017
  1. How often do sales come up?
  2. Are these still a good value at $199?
  3. Does the SMART Long test work in the enclosure?

I will be in the US soon for an industry conference and I am thinking to buy 2 drives.

It would be nice to stress test the drives after purchasing, but I will be there only a few days and don't have a Windows device to dedicate to testing them. I'm looking for the best way to ensure they are good before flying back.