- Jan 2, 2017
Nice. On the bad-blocks tests, can you do them on more than one drive simultaneously on the same machine? Would I need a USB3.0 hub / multiple host ports, or could you even plug these in to a USB2.0 port if you are only running the bad block tests? Actually going to need a power strip that can do that many wall-worts now that I think about it....
- You absolutely can run bb in parallel. I have a script that I personally like, but know the same individual that created that video also created a burn in script that you may want to take a look at. His solution may be cleaner, but with the script I use, I open 12 tmux sessions  to ensure burn in continues in the event of connectivity loss, and check in from time to time.
- Some suggest that its a good idea to test via USB prior to shucking in the event you run into a bad drive, so you don't have to deal with sticking them back in the enclosure for return / RMA; however, with 7 - 12 drives in our respective cases, that becomes a complete PITA.
- I personally think it more appropriate to shuck them, drop them into caddies, load them into the server, and enjoy the efficiency of that approach. That being said, I have complete confidence that I could get the HDD back in the enclosure if need be. You become a veritable shucking pro after a few .
- O/c not everything you read on the internet is not true, but there have been recent reports here (It's A Digital Disease!) of RMAs without the enclosure and no issue encounter.
- And hearing power strip makes me cringe, please do yourself a favor and protect your investment properly via UPS!
Do you do something separate for burn-in or are you counting these tests as the burn-in?
- I tend to be a bit sarcastic and it can be tough to tell when I'm joking, but due to the density, SMART + 0xaa (10101010) + 0x55 (01010101) + 0xff (11111111) + 0x00 (00000000) + SMART = a full week, literally.
- I think most would agree that is a sufficient burn in period.
I would expect at least one of them to be bad, you think?
- Disagree - in fact - statistically speaking, I'd be surprised.
- I did a dozen in November as well - not a blip to speak of.
I have some time because I am still building the server these are going to go in. So even if it takes a month to do this it will be OK.
- You have more willpower than I - thats like staring at presents under the Christmas tree for a month!