Best bang for buck 8x+ 2.5" SSD chassis/platform ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

n1ko

Aug 14, 2016
First post \o/

I'm trying to figure out what would be the best bang for buck for building a NAS based only on SSD's.

So requirements wise

- 8x+ 2.5" slots. More is better :)
- Platform (expanders etc) dont bottleneck SATA3 (SAS3 a bonus) speeds from all disks
- Rack mountable. Ideally a full thing (eg. lets say SC846 for 2.5") including expanders
- Takes in standard ATX/EATX motherboards or comes motherboard
- Has or can be changed to use a standard HBA to be used with FreeBSD (and ZFS)
- 10Gbps SFP+ or enough PCIe slots&bw to add dualport card

Right now i'm running mostly HP and Supermicro gear so i'm looking at those. Open to others too, but need IPMI and dual PSU's is nice to have.

Supermicro has sweet chassis (eg. Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Chassis | 2U | SC216BAC-R920LPB ) but the price is pretty steep too. Not really ebayjunk yet :)

So far the best bang for buck i've seen is DL380 Gen8 which can be had for around 1000euros including everything except maybe swapping out P420 to HBA and putting in 10Gb card

DL380 g7 would be cheap, but with a single riser theres not enough PCIe to do both dualport 10Gb and a HBA for the SSD's

n1ko

Aug 14, 2016
Thats actually a sweet deal! The price is not that awesome after shipping&customs to Finland (EU), but even still it might be better than the DL380G8 due to being SM.