Best Backup Software/methods?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Siewert

Jan 26, 2015
Looking for a software to backup my computer and would like ideas. Would like to know which programs are good, and basic differences. I have searching many backup software's, but am looking to see what else is available. Are snapshots a good idea? I don't really know much about them or if they are better that just copying the files to another hard drive. What do you think?
Any Suggestion?

Thanks

smithse79

Sep 17, 2014
For backing up user data I've been happy with Crashplan. Note, however, their transfer speeds on any of the home plans can be abysmal. I've not been able to get over ~5Mbps up and I have a 20/20 connection. Took me over a month to upload ~1TB of data. But, it does versioning, encryption in transport and at the endpoint, and is not that expensive.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I agree. They are based out of Minneapolis so 5 minutes from my office :). Great product. A nice advantage is the local backup is free so it's nice to have another hard drive for a local backup. Faster restores.

Jennifer35

Jan 28, 2015
Currently I'm using CloudBacko Lite. It backup all servers, databases, virtual machines & workstations. CloudBacko comes with the most intuitive user interface that is so easy to use. Have a check this software too.

Atomicslave

Dec 3, 2014
I didnt know veeam had that out yet, I will have to check it out. I was super happy with their Enterprise Backup at my last job.

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
I backup to crashplan. But depending on your amount of data, and budget, a lot of options are out there.
Have you found that Crashplan do a bare metal full recovery for a Windows computer?

I'd like to automatically backup all the family computers to a NAS every night, such that I can do a full disaster recovery on any one of them should the need arise.

F1ydave

Mar 9, 2014
In Esxi, I use the free Nakivo backup and replication, its incredibly easy to setup, has a really nice interface, and i would say it is iOS easy to use. It allows backup overwrites, daily, b-weekly, weekly, monthly, yearly - beyond that, you can choose how many copies of each you want saved, for rollbacks, etc. Has encryption for over lan backups. I am quite impressed by it. It backs up my windows server every night, 250gb takes about 1.5 hours or so. I would have to check the log to verify. backup drive is just a 4tb, located in the server. i think it supports vpn too for offsite, but i havent messed with that yet.

fair warning, I have never used it to replicate yet to test its ability to restore a server. which I really should do. ive been backing up my data independently, even if i had to rebuild, i still have everything. come to think about it, i must have tested it...been to long to remember, but i do see that i must be running my main server off the replication, lol.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Crashplan doesn't do bare metal backups so you won't be able to restored after a crash. I use Acronis to do images and restore to any point in time.

TubaMT

Jul 26, 2014
Have you found that Crashplan do a bare metal full recovery for a Windows computer?

I'd like to automatically backup all the family computers to a NAS every night, such that I can do a full disaster recovery on any one of them should the need arise.
I want to do something similar where I can make weekly or nightly backups of all the home computers to the main server. I was thinking of using Acronis or Easeus to make images but I want to be able to see the contents of the image just like a full file backup.

Also the home computers are windows and iOS so don't know how else to do it.

Would Acronis be able to do this over lan? Thank you in advance all! :)

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Acronis should be able to do this just fine. It allows you to mount the backup image and pull files out of the image as needed. What you would do is set up a network share (or an FTP server) and point the backups there. Any CIFS share works fine. It also looks like Acronis has a Mac version now too, I've never tried it though.

Reactions: TubaMT

TubaMT

Jul 26, 2014
Acronis should be able to do this just fine. It allows you to mount the backup image and pull files out of the image as needed. What you would do is set up a network share (or an FTP server) and point the backups there. Any CIFS share works fine. It also looks like Acronis has a Mac version now too, I've never tried it though.
Thanks for the advice @Chuckleb ! I've thought about using Acronis in the past, but read a lot of reports that the software was buggy. I'll give it a test run though :) Thank you!

Also do you know if it's possible to restore from a network share as well using Acronis' recovery media? I haven't found any for sure answers. Thanks!

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
FWIW: NewEgg had/has Acronis 2015 3 user license on sale for 30 bucks.

I just started using it (limited 2014 version) and snagged the 2015 I liked it so much, and wanted to do schedules and exclusion lists.

Reactions: TubaMT

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
I know this is an old thread, but it's exactly was I was going to post.... I was just wondering if there were any more recent recommendations?

I need support for Windows, OSX, and Android clients, data files only is fine, I don't need bare-metal restore. I'll take it if it's available, but I find that when I'm hitting backups it's 99% restoring that ONE file that got deleted accidentally after the "are you sure" prompt. :)

This is for a home environment, but I'd like to keep it simple. Backup to the file server is fine, I can replicate that off-site. If there is a reasonably priced online component, I'd consider it.

The first thing to come to mind is Crashplan. I use it now, and it's okay. However, it's crazy slow for a lot of things it has no right being that slow at. I'd also prefer local machines to backup to the server, then replicate that offsite. Rather than having to have the machines each online pushing files out over the slow internet connection. It also keeps breaking on FreeNAS. I might still switch to Proxmox, which would work better with Crashplan.

I've been tossing around using something like Syncthing. It seems to work well on my Android device. It's a little basic, but combined with ZFS snapshots and replication, it could work. Not as user friendly for old versions of files, but an option...

Any other thoughts?

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
Bvckup 2 | Simple fast backup works well for me for a local snapshot of Windows endpoints. I run that on a regular schedule to snapshot, then do Crashplan offsite.

I'd run Syncthing on your Android devices, sync it to your server. Have your Windows and MacOS clients to save directly to the same server. Then Crashplan that offsite. If you end up doing something like this, having a separate box with Bvckup2 (or rsync, whatever) with a local snapshot of your server is ideal, to ensure you can recover without having to go offsite every time.