Best AsRack X99 Motherboard to run E5-2698 V4 ES (QHUZ / QHZD)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Jan 12, 2017
Cambridge, UK
Hi Guys,

I read the following from this forum:

"Both the E5-2698 V4 ES (QHUZ / QHZD) are incompatible with the Rampage V Extreme as they are pre-B0 stepping. If you want those cheaper Stepping 0 processors you will need an AsRock X99 to use with those early revision 2698 V4 ES. "

Would it be possible to ask some questions about this?

1) Which is better out of the two spec codes, the QHUZ or the QHZD?

2) If I wanted a AsRock X99 motherboard that would run this CPU without having to do a BIOS update, which one would it be? I did a search on AsRock X99 and there are a few motherboards coming up so I am not really sure on the best one?

X99M Fatal1ty Killer
X99 Extreme 4 / 3
X99 Taichi

3) In terms of cost, which would be the cheapest and most basic? It can be very simple as all it is going to do is running BOINC data processing software, so it does not need USB3, or to be honest anything else "fancy".

Thanks for any help on this.

Laszlo

Jul 28, 2016
Hi!

I am not sure about this, but the Taichi seems to be the only one supporting v4 Xeons out of the box, as it was released around the Broadwell-E launch. In addition to that, if you look at the bioses for the Extreme 4:
ASRock > X99 Extreme4
it is specifically stated, which bios supports the v4s, and for the Taichi:
ASRock > X99 Taichi
nothing is written like that, from which I think even the earliest supports them, but I mentioned, I'm not sure about this.
Anyway, I'd buy the ones with more dimm slots, 4 is the bare minimum, which you can get, and also the cheapest option (Extreme 3 or X99M series), but with 8 slots you will have room to update.

From the CPUs I'd buy the one with higher clocks (obviously), but you have to be sure, that your applications scales well with more cores, as early steppings tend to have lower clock speeds, so maybe a v3 with higher ones would be better.

Jan 12, 2017
Cambridge, UK
Hi Laszlo,

Thanks for your reply and the information on the motherboards. It is noted what you say bout not being 100% sure on this.

For now I just bought another E5-2683V3 OEM as the previous one I got is working quite nicely, and hopefully on the Asus X99 I should be able to auto-overclock it to full turbo once I get the correct RAM (1700)

I hear, and agree, with what you are saying about lower frequencies on the early stepping, and higher ones on the later V3 ones.

Right now I am considering OEM version more so than ES/QS versions, due to not having to worry about different specification/speeds/instruction sets/etc.

The most RAM we would ever use is 32 GB so four slots would be fine.

The BOINC application we use is fully hyper-threaded and runs at 100% load on all threads, so more cores is best.

Right now I am considering the Asus X99 motherboard with the Intel Xeon E5 2696 V3 OEM, which runs 18 cores, base 2.3 GHz and (so the ad says) Turbo to 3.8 GHz. Although I think the 96 is the OEM version of the 99, so if so then it would probably turbo to 3.6 Ghz.

I think that may be less hassle than going down the AsRack X99 with a ES chip.

Also, If it the auto overclocking on the X99 Deluxe does indeed push the frequency to full turbo on all cores, then that would mean running 36 threads at 3.6/3.8 GHz.

Jan 12, 2017
Cambridge, UK
Multi-core, and or XMP/Overclocking pushed the 83 to full turbo of 3GHz, but as soon as all cores kicked in it went back to 2.5 GHz.

I now considering just running both 83's on a Asus Z10PE-D8 WS motherboard.

Jan 12, 2017
Cambridge, UK
Rather than do that, I think I would instead consider getting some E5-2696 V3 (2699); they run 2.3 GHz base, and Turbo to 3.8 GHz (3.6?), so I would guess probably run around 3 Ghz all cores.