Best 32gb dimm for asrock x99 MB

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Agremlin

May 3, 2020
I have an Asrock X99 WS mb, in specs on main site the board can support 32gb dimms for a total of 256gb. However I haven't been able to find anywhere which specific dimms are supported. I could 1) use the 32gb version of 16gb dimms on QVL list, 2) get most common (whatever that is) sk hynix/samsung 32gb ecc rdimms.
Given prices now for ddr4 id only buy 1 or 2 dimms and wait for prices to drop but still would be good to get compatible ram first go. Any thoughts?

Marsh

May 12, 2013
2) get most common (whatever that is) sk hynix/samsung 32gb ecc rdimms.
I have quite a few Asrock x99 boards in use.
I search ebay , buy the lowest price of sk hynix/samsung ecc rdimms.
Never have any problems.

Reactions: Agremlin

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
QVLs tend to be "here's the stuff we've had on hand to test with and confirm it works" rather than an exhaustive list of all memory; I used to have an X99 WS and the Crucial ECC modules I used in it weren't on the QVL. Any DDR4 module that meets the specs should work without issue.

If you're putting a xeon in there and are prepared to buy s/h, using cheap 2133MHz RDIMMs should be a very cost-effective option.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Just using 32GB DIMMs that happen to share the product line with 16GB DIMMs on the memory QVL won't work.
You will need RDIMM if you want 32GB DIMMs for a total of 256GB, and consequently, a Xeon CPU. 32GB UDIMMs won't work.
That being said, I would just buy the cheapest 32GB RDIMMs I can find, rated for the memory speed you need. Most of the time, that approach works every time.