Best 16 Port Smart Managed Switch?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

m4ntic0r

Feb 20, 2017
I need a new switch for my home network.

- min 16 ports
- smart managed (need a port mirror for wan sniffer)
- no fan, passiv

TP-Link TL-SG10 Desktop Easy Smart Switch, 16x RJ-45 (TL-SG1016DE)
D-Link DGS-11 Desktop Gigabit Smart Switch, 16x RJ-45 (DGS-1100-16)
ZyXEL GS1900 Desktop Gigabit Smart Switch, 24x RJ-45 (GS1900-24E-EU0101F/GS1900-24E-GB0101F)
Netgear ProSAFE Plus GS100 Desktop Gigabit Smart Switch, 16x RJ-45, V2 (GS116E-200PES)

these are up to 100€, but i dont know witch one to choose or is there any better switch?

anybody here can help me?

Last edited:

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
Might i suggest this?

MikroTik

It will give you all the l2 features you want and also give you a couple 10g ports all while only using ~9w so no fan. Balticnetworks is selling it for 120.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
I have the ZyXEL GS1900-24E switch and cannot recommend it, while it generally speaking works, I am not impressed with the firmware.
One of the issues, that I think speaks volumes about its quality, is (last I checked) that you can't change the certificate for the HTTPS service, which essentially means all switches more or less use the same certificate, someone with "bad" intentions could carve out of the certificate from the firmware and use it to decrypt traffic (essentially the web service might not even use HTTPS as the encryption is worthless, which is stupid).

I would like to vote for a Mikrotik switch as well, Mikrotik is much better at updating their SOHO device's firmwares compared to most other vendors in that price range.
There is a caveat though, what I talked about is their routeros firmware, some Mikrotik switches (like the CSS326) only support swos firmware, which in the past haven't gotten updated as frequently as routeros. You probably wont need the routeros features anyway though, and Mikrotik recently released more and higher end switches compared to the ones that used swos in the past (5 port gigabit switches), so most likely they will be better at updating these new ones (like the css326), but there is always a risk...
That said, if updating swos makes them just a little worse than routeros, they are probably still better than some of the other vendors.