Benchmarking NAS drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

33_viper_33

Aug 3, 2013
Gentlemen,

Just started a new job and am having to benchmark a proprietary 3rd party NAS product that must remain unnamed. I mapped the network drive and have access to its shared content, but none of the benchmarking utilities I've tried so far can see it. Under Windows 7, I've tried iometer, crystal disk and ATTO Benchmark. A Google search indicated these should work with NAS, so what am I missing? Any suggestions for alternate tools?

Thanks for your help,
-V

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Did you try IOmeter yet? Is this iSCSI, CIFS, other?

33_viper_33

Aug 3, 2013
I did try IOmeter with no luck. It doesn't see it in the tree. This is CIFS. I got Intel's NAS Performance Toolkit to detect it and it is running now. Would like to use something more common like IOmeter or ATTO.

EDIT: Intel NAS Performance Toolkit failed. Got the error message "failed to upload preparation to the device". I am able to manually transfer files to the device. I think something weird is going on here.

Last edited:

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
You can't map a drive letter to the share? That's how I test ramdisk over network!

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Using net use ? That's how i used ATTO! Maybe choose a drive like S: ?

33_viper_33

Aug 3, 2013
Thanks all for your help!

I got IOmeter working. I must have downloaded an old version. The new version works. Still can't see a mapped drive with Atto though. Though Iwould like to use a couple programs, IOmeter is sufficient for now.