Beginner's book, guide, or series of videos, articles, or forum threads to gain knowledge and learn how to build a home server. Where to start?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

QVOX

May 27, 2020
First let me say I'm not an IT guy, not by any measure. I have built a desktop, but pretty much following exactly the instructions of those that are smarter than me. I got interested in building my own home server while looking into NAS builds for media and I think I have a fair understanding of how to do that. But I want to learn more about the possibilities of a home server.

So, I started watching YouTube videos, looking through forums like this one, reading threads on various topics. I have to say I'm still confused about a great many things. At this point I don't know what I don't know. Meaning I'm not even sure I'm at the point were I can ask specific enough questions to get the right answer. I don't have a good understanding of all the terminology, or why one build configuration is better than another for a particular objective.

Forums are great if you know specifically what you are looking for, and I've learned a lot just reading various threads, and through forum searches. But there are still gaping holes in my knowledge.

On a dunning-kruger graph I'm at the point where I'm at "There's more to this than I thought" heading swiftly towards "I'm never going to understand this"

dunning-kruger_effect.jpg

Is there a good "beginners guide" to this subject? Or perhaps a good series of videos that someone might recommend? I really do want to learn.

Reactions: Rock

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
Reddit: r/HomeLab Wiki
I know of no specific dedicated videos/guides, but that Wiki was pretty good - i thought, when I read through it some years ago.

Knowing what you want your home server/lab to do or accomplish is probably a good (if not _the_) starting point.
You mentioned a server for storage ... is that the sole function? How much storage capacity? What speed? What type of data is being stored?

You kind of get the idea ... need to know what you plan to do so you can ask the questions on how to accomplish the build you need.

Reactions: QVOX and Patrick

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I don't think there is guide for that stuff...
Just install windows or an unix like os :)P) and set up a share. Go from there and questions/problems will occur naturally :D

And back up all important data.

Jiaxinxi

Aug 23, 2017
You know You Know
You know You don't know
You don't know you don't know
You don't know You know

Reactions: QVOX