Battery backup for Fios ONT (Xtreme Power Conversion J60)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

blinkenlights

May 24, 2019
Hopefully this pointer will help someone facing the same challenge - a couple of years ago, I realized that I wanted a battery backup for the ONT terminating fiber service to my house. I had about half an hour runtime for the entire equipment rack (~500W) but wanted to take it further and it made no sense to keep the internal network up without the internet connection. I looked at options for structured cabinets, like the Tripp Lite AV550SC, but none of them would fit in the existing large, but shallow, breaker cabinet.

By chance, I stumbled over a slim profile UPS designed for digital signage - the Xtreme Power Conversion J60: J60 Lithium UPS | Xtreme Power Conversion

It checked all the boxes in terms of fitment, safety certifications, warranty, and was lithium ion to boot. After adding standoffs to the mounting bracket and a low-profile supply cable, I was happy. The only downside is price - the 350VA version that I have costs around $320; the new 600VA around $640. At any rate, it has survived multiple power outages and it should power the ONT for at least one hour - preferably closer to the 2.5 hours I have available for the equipment rack.

XPC_J60.jpg

blinkenlights

May 24, 2019
I use a PoE splitter.
I perceive you are a man of great daring and danger :p

In all sincerity, post a DIY article if you have not already done so. My equipment rack is a good 50 feet from the service entrance, lots of nearby electrical, and I use an Cat 6 isolator near the switch - so probably not for me, but someone else might benefit.

I had to redo the cable from the ONT to the power supply. In case anyone is looking, the cable (on my model, at least) is: Carol 92151A 24/5C+16/2C Composite Antenna Rotor Cable CMX/CMR

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
The problem in my neighborhood is that the FIOS for the whole neighborhood goes dark 20mins after an outage, so doesn't matter what I do for battery backup, lol!

blinkenlights

May 24, 2019
The problem in my neighborhood is that the FIOS for the whole neighborhood goes dark 20mins after an outage, so doesn't matter what I do for battery backup, lol!
Geez, sorry to hear that :eek: At least in my neighborhood, Fios does not disappear unless something catastrophic occurs.

I can remember having cable service when the only other option was DSL, "speed not guaranteed" and may not work because of some goofy double-loop thing between my house and the CO. The provider rented me this fancy (for then) Motorola modem with a battery built in.... but every time the wind blew too hard, the service itself would go offline :rolleyes:

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida