Basic questions about (and weirdness regarding) Omni-OS 151026

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
Hey,

so I have just some basic questions about using Omni-OS. I am pretty familiar with where things are in both Linux and FreeBSD, but it's just a little different on Solarish OS and I'm trying to wrap my head around it but not finding many resources.

1) How does one use the scrollback buffer when viewing the TTY?

Edit: And can I switch between TTYs like on BSD/Linux somehow? I tried ctrl-alt-fkeys and alt-fkeys and neither switched anything.

2) I have a mis-named network device that shows up during startup (accidentally forgot one zero in e1000g0). Presumably I made this mis-configuration with ipadm, but in ipadm the misnamed interface does not show up using either show-if or show-addr. Where else might it be coming from?

3) Is anyone else who's using Omni-OS on ESXi having issues where the screen echos after a command has already been run? It's responding to the keyboard, but I can't tell what I've typed until after I hit enter.

4) After reboot, I can't seem to log into the VM using SSH, when it was working before reboot. Is there some kind of persistence I need to set for the SSH service, or is there a firewall blocking the port now? I am pretty sure I turned it on in Napp-It (which is also now not working)

edit: I ran 'svcs | grep ssh' and got 'online 00:08:43 svc:/network/ssh:default' so it looks like it should be working AFAIK ...

5) Napp-it - I had reboot it before and it was running after startup, but now it either isn't running or is blocked upon startup after most recent reboot. Perplexing.

Edit: I logged into Napp-It using an e1000 IP and it says the externam vmxnet3 interface is disabled? Any idea why that would happen?

# ipadm show-if says:
Code:
IFNAME     STATE    CURRENT      PERSISTENT
lo0        ok       -m-v------46 ---
vmxnet3s0  down     bm--------4- -46
vmxnet3s1  ok       bm--------46 -46
e1000g0    ok       bm--------46 -46
During startup I noticed:
Code:
Unable to plumb vmxnet3s0
. . . 
Failed to configure IPv4 interface(s): vmxnet3s0

Last edited:

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
about manuals
The best source for Solarish manuals is Oracle.
ex Solaris 11.4, Oracle Solaris 11.4 Information Library

In some aspects like networking and shares, Solaris behaves now a little different from the Solaris fork Illumos. As Illumos is a fork of an early Solaris 11 Express, the older manuals are quite correct. You find them via Google, ex download via Oracle Solaris 11 Express Information Library 2010.11 Release (click on download to get the Solaris Express 11 manuals, the description link is to newest docs).

Another source of manuals is the Illumos and OpenIndiana wiki. For the behaviour of a console command in the current OS release, call man command ex man zfs. I have also collected a lot of infos at napp-it // webbased ZFS NAS/SAN appliance for OmniOS, OpenIndiana, Solaris and Linux : Manual

about TTY
Solaris Virtual Consoles
I always use Putty on any X as this offer all what you want including copy/paste of commands with a mouse right click.

about 3.
I have seen a behaviour under Putty where carriage returns lost functionality and where I had to reopen a session. I have not digged deeper into as this happened only a few times in years.

4/5.
you either booted up a former BE or this may be related to the network problem but then you should be able to connect via the e1000 interface.

To fix this, either go back to a former BE or list all nics via
dladm show-phys
and delete nics via
ipadm delete-if (Oracle Solaris delete-ip)

Then create the nic links newly like shown in napp-it // webbased ZFS NAS/SAN appliance for OmniOS, OpenIndiana, Solaris and Linux : OmniOS under Setup Options

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
about TTY
Solaris Virtual Consoles
I always use Putty on any X as this offer all what you want including copy/paste of commands with a mouse right click.
I am fine with using an SSH terminal, but I was forced to use the ESXi console since I couldn't figure out what was going on with my network.

Aren't there any scrollback buffer features when accessing the TTY directly? It feels so archaic coming from other OS. I was able to use '| more' and '| less' as workarounds in a few instances, but it's much more of a PITA.

about 3.
I have seen a behaviour under Putty where carriage returns lost functionality and where I had to reopen a session. I have not digged deeper into as this happened only a few times in years.
It wasn't under an SSH terminal, it was from the ESXi console. And yeah, it was super weird and FWIW might have more to do with ESXi than OmniOS (or the combination) but I've never seen it before.

4/5.
you either booted up a former BE or this may be related to the network problem but then you should be able to connect via the e1000 interface.
Yes, I've been using the e1000 and it's been fine for the most part. I'm certain it wasn't an earlier environment.

I'll try what you described, and thanks for all the resources. I will just get in there and RTFM! Older Solaris manual is a great idea.

Thank you :)

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
ESXi console
Avoid the webbased console and use a local console (ex as a Windows app)

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
ESXi console
Avoid the webbased console and use a local console (ex as a Windows app)
Yeah, that's what I was doing when I was having the issue - from vSphere using Workstation.

I got vmxnet3s0 working again thankfully, following this guide:

GeneralAdministration

Code:
root@napp-it01:~# ipadm create-if vmxnet3s0
root@napp-it01:~# ipadm create-addr -T static -a 192.168.1.56 vmxnet3s0/v4static
root@napp-it01:~# ipadm show-addr
ADDROBJ           TYPE     STATE        ADDR
lo0/v4            static   ok           127.0.0.1/8
vmxnet3s0/v4static static  ok           192.168.1.56/24
vmxnet3s1/v4static static  ok           10.0.0.10/8
e1000g0/v4static  static   ok           192.168.1.55/24
lo0/v6            static   ok           ::1/128
First I had to

Code:
root@napp-it01:~# ifconfig vmxnet3s0 unplumb
Because the guide I was following (the official one for vmxnet3 from VMware, VMware Knowledge Base ) recommended plumbing first in ifconfig, but when I tried to use ipadm create-addr, I got this error:

Code:
root@napp-it01:~# ipadm create-addr -T static -a 192.168.1.56 vmxnet3s0/v4static

ipadm: Could not create address: Persistent operation on temporary object
So hopefully if someone's having the same issue from following the same guide, they'll come across this...

Thanks for all your help :)